10347Re: [probe_control] And all that Search...

  • martin allen
    Dec 23, 2013

          Dino:

          Just read your latest post with great interest--do you still have that Gambler flick? I have been trying to round up (ouch) that thing for a friend for years...

          As to Diagnosis: Murder, didn't they start bringing back a lot of old TV characters in later years? I think the first one was Mike Conners AS 'Joe Mannix' and yes, they pulled yet another slug out of his shoulder at the beginning of the episode...

         While I still had the Starz block, I got to record a couple of Have Guns, again for the same guy, Tony--one of them began with a line that is now unintentionally hilarious--There's a big bash going on in the streets, all around the Hotel Carlton, and the first line, given by an actress playing Vincent Price's wife is: "San Francisco is gay tonight, and we owe it all to you, Mr. Palladin"...took me five minutes to get over that laughing jag...

        Here's my two cents' worth on the repeated 'sound effects' issue and all that--and this time, I know what I'm on about, because it was part of my degree studies.

      --nobody can read this stuff anymore on a squeeze-tease, but look real close on unedited Trek closers and you'll see "Sound effects by the Glen Glenn Company--

         Paramount only leased those tracks--some 'Search' sound fx are on the 'Star Trek sound effects CD--I'm pretty sure I mentioned this, but it was years ago now--and as most of us likely know--short term memory is the first to go...you wouldn't believe how many times the old Fox sound FX reel shows up--it's almost complete, when it doubles for the opening 'music' to the 1968 'Fantastic Voyage'. I used parts of it for a couple of years, back when I was doing the 'mad scientist' (what else?) at the Tallahassee haunted house--hoping someone would call me out on it, but they never did...oh well...back to the whole lease thing:

         It's like that with the cameras, lights, sound gear--a lot of people think the studios own all that stuff--Nope. They rent it--lowers the overhead and they don't pay for storage. Hollywood led the way for everyone else when it came to out-sourcing.

        More unintentional humor: Look up a cheesy contender for Top Ten Worst Movies Ever--there's one from about 1965 called  "Space Monster". This easily tops "Plan 9" and most of that over-cited ilk by far. This was far, far worse than your usual run-of the-mill space needle in trouble from the get-go flicks--one of the greatest Wastes Of Celluloid Ever. But the inside of the damn ship runs to the tune of the bridge of none other than the USS Enterprise. Beat 'Trek' to that effects reel by about six months, I'd say...

      martin