10250RE: [probe_control] Keep watching the cameras

    Oct 25, 2013

      Hello John

           The UK was really far down the line going to colour:-

           If it doesn’t show, you can use the options at the top of the list to put things in order. We had it in 1967 but very few could afford it, especially the price of the license. My Dad didn’t go for it until 1970ish. As such, there was a mixture of colour and b&w shows out there and I have to confess, most of us lived in bliss not knowing the difference for years or particularly bothered by this colour stuff. It’s what you get used to really and I was a TV21 comic reader so knew what the colours were.

           Don’t forget, the budget for Doctor Who was on par with the soaps and cheap, hence much rehearsed and filmed in a single take in the early shows. I’d have to look up but it was sometime in the Troughton shows when some of it was filmed and not videotaped. It was only with the regeneration to the Pertwee Who in 1970 that they thought to switch to colour.

           Selling abroad, Who was copied onto film when required.

      ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: actingman6@...
      Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:58:01 -0400
      Subject: Re: [probe_control] Keep watching the cameras

      But the difference here is that Dr. Who was video...a much bigger upgrade than b/w to color film.  Since the UK did not go to color broadcasting until 1969 (please confirm,) I of course would not expect them to do video produced shows in color...especially domestic-only stuff.

      On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM, gf willmetts <gfwillmetts-2@...> wrote:

      Hello John

           After ‘Stingray’. All shows for deliberate export, mostly Lew Grade ITV stuff, were filmed in colour. Material that wasn’t, stayed in black and white. Don’t forget that ‘Doctor Who’ didn’t switch to colour until 1970.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic