10248RE: [probe_control] Keep watching the cameras

    Oct 24, 2013

      Hello John

           After ‘Stingray’. All shows for deliberate export, mostly Lew Grade ITV stuff, were filmed in colour. Material that wasn’t, stayed in black and white. Don’t forget that ‘Doctor Who’ didn’t switch to colour until 1970.

      Geoff

      ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: actingman6@...
      Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:23:37 -0400
      Subject: Re: [probe_control] Keep watching the cameras

      Depended on the show.  Full color happened with the season starting in September, 1966.  Many shows were in color before then, and some were in black and white.  ABC reluctantly agreed to take the first Avengers on film in monochrome, with the understanding that later episodes would be in color.  There were other factors involved.  NBC's parent company sold color TVs, so they wanted all color.  CBS lost the battle to set the color standard, so they dragged their heels with some, but not all, shows.

      On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 5:28 AM, gf willmetts <gfwillmetts-2@...> wrote:

      Hello John

           I always thought the turning point was 1964 when Stingray was produced in colour because you folk were ahead of us with colour TV and were less inclined to buy b&w British material.