10167RE: [probe_control] Telemetry

    Sep 27, 2013

      Hello Dino

           Re: TV Scanner. Of course, but without the connection to HQ, the device is essentially useless so it makes sense for them to microwave the energy it needs to work it.

           I only went on about the dynamo to cover your point that it wouldn’t be practical.

           As to voltage from microwaves. It is a low voltage or we would be living in a microwave oven. The Scanner might be small but its energy would have to be stepped up for some of its functions and probably why some of the functions aren’t on all the time. Putting a transformer in the Scanner would be a bit impractical but a capacitor would carry enough providing it’s used. Going back to ‘Short Circuit’, that would be the part of the Scanner that I would go for to make it explode.

           We’ve never discussed what powers the dental contact but I suspect that as it’s so close to the earjack that it shares its link.

           I’ve had John run the photos of spy cameras currently in use and the lens is about half the size of the Scanner now but I think the original size would serve its other functions better. All the real ones are still linked to a battery source which is many times bigger.

           Wearing it is easier. No neckchain but simply in the lapel. I never saw the cufflink as being that practical and considering that they couldn’t stop it flying off on the show was probably why we never saw it being used that way beyond the pilot demo. I thought the waistcoat position was too low on the chest. The ring was used for close-ups when sitting down but the lapel would still work. Lady PROBES would do as last time and be part of their jewelry.

           Considering how much translation software has developed over the last decade, having some computer-based version working would probably be in there.

      Geoff

      ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: LambuLambu@...
      Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 01:23:28 -0400
      Subject: Re: [probe_control] Telemetry

      Geoff,

      PROBE Scanner: Anything, really, is "passive" until it gets juice. The scanner as I mentioned works as a passive and active device. If it wasn't active in some sort of way, it would never have the IR, X-Ray, zoom, etc. capabilities it has.
      I think we can - mostly - set aside the idea of a dynamo and alternating current as 99.9% of electronic equipment operates on direct current. True, alternating current may initially enter the equipment (at home it would be from a wall outlet, for the scanner it would be from the microwave signals from HQ via Comstat), but once the Vac gets inside the casing, it is passed through a transformer to step up (or down) the voltage, which is then rectified into Vdc. So the idea that the scanner needs a dynamo to generate alternating current for power isn't necessary and the transformer alone would make the thing impractical; it's circuits would run off of direct current, so in that respect if we toss the idea of the magnet generating any power, a "button" battery would make more sense as the internal power source.

      'Search' made today: Yes, the agents' equipment would still need to be - let's say 'unobtrusive' rather than concealed. Concealed indicates more of something that no one would see. (I guess the earjack and dental contacts would fall into this category, so maybe we'd need both concealed and unobtrusive.) The scanner would be the unobtrusive item. To keep things within the realm of plausibility, I think the scanner would have to be kept "close" to its original size (unlike the too small 'cameras' the She Spies used). Its design could be slightly altered so it would look more like a piece of jewelry, though, yet still give it that "old-fashioned" scanner look - like, say, the Eye of Medusa (a.k.a. Evil Eye: here's a bracelet full of them for those who haven't seen one before:
      http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5900/a9c13/products/85/images/377/tanz_blue_sterling_silver_evil_eye_bracelet__32389.1297118272.1280.1280.jpg; and they come in a variety of colors so even female agents could color-coordinate with whatever outfit they were wearing: http://www.luckjewels.com/categories/Sterling-Silver-Evil-Eye-Bracelets/). Still has that look, but not so much of the draw-your-eye-to-it oddness of the original's circuit board and lens.
      Power management would definitely be a necessity as you point out, hence our modern-day Kuroda at the front-center console. A medic is also necessary to monitor the PROBE agents' condition, as well as any other vital signs from someone sneaking about: modern day Gloria at her left-hand console to the left of Cameron's (Boss Man to oversee everything) rear-center double-sided console.
      In keeping with the spirit of the Pilot and first 15 episodes (with a dark PROBE Control and more HQ technicians), a computer expert would also be a good idea to monitor the more complex tech HQ would use today (Ginny Keach at her right-hand console to the right of Cam's) and like Ginny did back then, monitor the now-widespread Internet traffic. Since language translation programs aren't totally accurate, a linguistics expert is also a good idea (Griffin, front-left console) since someone would have to speak the translation to the agent anyway.
      And someone to monitor all communications channels - cell/mobile phones (voice and text), e-mails, Skype, etc. (Carlos, front-right console). We could keep the non-descript consoles in the back on the left and right sides of the rear Computer/recording drive racks, just in case something out of the ordinary pops up and needs monitoring (although they got along fine without those in the Pilot and "The Murrow Disappearance"). The Main Screen? I'd just make it HD: maybe a slightly bigger housing. Otherwise I wouldn't change the look of it; it's just too cool as is! (I wouldn't go holographic with its display because that would be too much ST: TNG-ish.)

      AWACS interference: Honestly, as infrequent as that buzzing happens and as short as the buzzing's duration is, it really isn't worth the effort to try blocking it from the speakers. It happens at random - once every few months, and not at the same time so we can't even track it to get ready to try the shielding - and it only lasts about 10-15 seconds.