URL for generating functions ?

  • mfradon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
      Hello,

      I need a URL containing a list of discrete Probability distributions
      with the corresponding probability generating functions.
      Something like that :
      Poisson P(X=n)=a^n/n!*exp(-a), n>=0 E(t^X)=exp(a(t-1))
      geometrical P(X=n)=p(1-p)^(n-1), n>=1 E(t^X)=tp/(1-t-tp)
      and so on, for as many distributions as possible
      (binomial, negative binomial, uniform, hypergeometrical, Zipf, etc)
      I need it in a very compact, easy-to-read for non-probabilists,
      form.
      I tried google, but "probability" generating" and "function" are
      very frequent words appearing in various contexts, some of them
      irrelevant, other ones containing a single generating function
      lost in a bunch of mathematical informations...
      Does such a URL exist ? Where ?
      Thanks in advance,

      Myriam
    • Noel Vaillant
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
        > I need a URL containing a list of discrete Probability distributions
        > with the corresponding probability generating functions.

        Hi Myriam,

        I really thought I had the answer to this:-( There is a pretty
        good list called "a compendium of common probability distributions"
        on the following page:

        http://www.geocities.com/~mikemclaughlin/math_stat/Dists/Compendium.html

        Unfortunately, there seems to be no information about characteristic
        functions (or moment generating functions). So I'll keep looking.

        Noel.
      • mfradon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2005
          Hi Noel,

          Thanks for your answer, the link is really interesting, especially
          the "characterization" given for each distribution.
          But the generating functions are not given :-(
          Perhaps the URL I'm looking for doesn't exist...

          Thanks again and do not invest too much time in this. I thought
          perhaps someone here already knows of such an URL and it will
          save me time. But if it is necessary to collect the generating
          functions from different locations, I can do it.

          Myriam