I have a probability question.

  • shiny717
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2004
      This was on my last stat test. I thought it was pretty easy, but i
      still got it wrong. The answer the teacher gives seems illogical,
      can you help please?

      There are six colors of m and ms in a bag. There is a different
      chance of pulling a certain color out at random.

      Red: .3
      Brown: .3
      Yellow: .1
      Green: .1
      Blue: .1
      Orange: .1

      If you put an m and m back everytime you take it out. What is the
      probability of drawing the same color m and m 2 times in a row.

      Cany anyone help?
    • The Webmaster
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2004
        Hello,

        I guess I would start by trying to add the individual
        probabilities of drawing 2 reds, 2 browns, 2 yellows,
        2 greens, 2 blues, and 2 Orange. The sum of these
        probabilities will give you the probability of drawing
        2 M&Ms of the same color.

        Is this how you proceeded on the exam?

        Regards,

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail