Re: [proa_file] Re: Solution

  • anthony j ruiz
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 12, 2011
      amen!

      On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Russell Brown <rj.brown61@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Jeremy has a pretty good point here and I think it's well summed up in his
      > last sentence.
      > Much of this forum is like a war zone. Maybe some people get off on this
      > kind of conflict, but it's not serving any purpose.
      > I personally find it intimidating to be involved in this forum and I'm sure
      > I'm not the only one.
      >
      > There seems to be an increasing number of people actually doing things with
      > proa's. look at what's happening in Europe as an example. It's a shame if
      > these people don't want to participate in what goes on here because of the
      > conflict.
      >
      > As anyone who has tried can tell you, it's pointless to disagree with
      > someone like Rob Denny.
      > I don't blame Steve Callahan for trying, as much of the "Russ Brown"
      > proa bashing ammunition came from Steve's writing.
      > Steve has the kind of technical background and extensive multihull history
      > needed to take on Rob's attack, but it's all just bulldozed under by
      > bullshit. What's the point? It's like politics.
      >
      > Dave Culp, get a ride on one of Rob's boats in 25 knots of wind and steep
      > chop at speeds of 20 knots or more (as you had on Jzerro) before throwing
      > down your judgment.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Russell
      >
      > --- In proa_file@yahoogroups.com, "jeremy" <southernoutriggers@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > There is a solution to this endless comparison of the RB and RD
      > boats............go talk about harryproas on the designated forum, and keep
      > channels clear for objective proa discussion on this forum.
      > > In fact banning the word harryproa altogether from proa_file would be
      > very simple and effective, because we could still discuss every variation
      > from prehistory to present time without the unpleasant imposition of this so
      > called `new type proa'.
      > >
      > > Russel Browns boats fall neatly into the Pac proa category and can be
      > discussed (by those who insist on doing so) in a constructive manner, while
      > the variety of others can be aired and compared without the need to elevate
      > one vague configuration by trashing all the others.
      > >
      > > Has anyone else noticed that there is a small, vocal contingent who
      > appear to have an agenda?

    • Southern Outriggers
      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 25, 2011
        Seagull striker is a better descriptive word for the thing I mentioned, yes.
        I used the odd sounding name because I had 'invented' the thing before ever
        seeing anything but the downward pointing striker, which was already known
        as a dolphin striker. Subsequently I heard someone else call it a reverse
        dolphin striker too......and this was after it had become a commonplace
        design feature on cats.

        What they do is put the forward beam into compression rather than have it
        subject to bending loads, and this is what I understand to be the essence
        of a 'tensegrity' structure.

        -jerry