Re: Yet another PHEV and a greeting from woody36

  • Ron Gremban
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2006
      Hi, Steve! As this site is public, I am taking the liberty to forward
      this message and my response to mailto:eaa-phev@.... Please
      visit http://www.eaa-phev.org

      Although your web page didn't show any conversion specifics, all power
      to you! For what they are worth, here are my suggestions, which
      actually apply to anyone intending to use one or more Prius battery
      packs as a PHEV pack.

      1) If you plan to use BatteryECU spoofing (instead of replacement), I
      recommend adding cells to a gen-2 or removing cells from a gen-1 Prius
      pack to create a pack with around 200 cells in series. This should give
      you approximately the same voltage differential as the 20 12V PbA
      modules I am currently using. You might need to add or subtract a few
      cells if, after experimentation, you find the PHEV pack's end
      state-of-charge (SOC) is too high or low, respectively.

      2) To help keep track of SOC while experimenting, I highly recommend an
      Amp-hour meter such as the Trimetric TM-2020 ($140 at
      http://store.solar-electric.com/tm2020.html) with a 100A, 100mV shunt
      (http://store.solar-electric.com/mka-100-100.html).

      3) One 6.5Ah Prius pack, used as a PHEV battery, should provide about 5
      miles of EV range. It will take 2 to provide the same 10 mile EV range
      as my PbA pack; four should give you 20 miles. However, these cells
      were not designed for deep discharge or (especially) to be repeatedly
      charged fully, so their lifetime may be shorter than desireable.

      4) If more than one Prius pack is put in parallel to form a PHEV pack,
      you should do the following:
      a) Fuse each pack separately, with a 60A fuse for each of two packs
      or a 30A fuse for each of 4 packs.
      b) Charge each pack separately, with a charger specifically
      designed for an NiMH pack. NiMH cells and packs cannot be charged to
      end-of-charge in parallel, as only on string of a parallel set will ever
      get fully charged. Also, chargers with algorithms designed for any
      other chemistry will not behave properly around end-of-charge, and will
      destroy the battery.

      5) Tom Driscoll (mechanical) and I (electronics) are working on, and
      will soon be publishing documentation for an updated version of the
      spoofing-based PbA PRIUS+ conversion that has now been successfully
      running on my car for over a month (more info in an upcoming message at
      eaa-phev). It will be designed for flexibility, capable of working with
      all sorts of battery packs with their own battery management
      electronics, and with various types of high-power electronics, e.g.
      contactors vs. a DC:DC converter such as Manzanita Micro's PFC-40
      charger. Once again, I believe that a wait for this documentation will
      be well worth it.

      /ron gremban