247Re: The Buddha Wasn't A Buddhist

  • Bobbi
    Apr 15, 2010
      I received precepts 5 years ago. I think it is similiar to the public marriage commitment. In that you have an intention and a trust that you can live up to the intention in the future - but recognize that you need all the help you can get to be the kind of person you want to be. The vow reminds you and strengthens your adherance to be what you want to be. It is more difficult to be half-way in a relationship when you've made a public commitment. And your community "hopefully" supports you to act in a way that strengthens your marriage and/or precepts rather then weakens your ability to uphold the values you've embraced.

      Intending to be married is not the same has entering into and being married to someone.

      Likewise intending to uphold the precepts is not the same as entering the Dharma gate of precept practice and living the precepts.

      As to labels. We are all complex humans for whom any labeling will evolve.
      On Monday I am 1, 2, 3, , 5
      on Friday I am 3.4.5..etc.

      Knowing you will change to some degree - who are you? The king asking Bodhidharma the question got a mocking/zen head response - but he really did want to know. And wasn't he a Buddha becoming too?

      The labels or descriptions we offer people about who we are - are just short cuts to allow them to be intimate with what we self-define as important.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic