      From: curt <curt@...>
      Subject: Re: [principles_of_zen] introductions
      To: principles_of_zen@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, December 12, 2005, 7:35 AM

      vivek ramakrishnan wrote:

      > c) Does the observer exist after enlightenment?

      "Observer" is just a word used to refer to a particular activity of mind
      (in which it appears as if one part of the mind is watching the rest of
      the mind). That activity can be used as a "foothold" for meditation - to
      use a rock climbing example. The purest form of meditation uses no
      footholds - its like climbing a solid wall of ice without a single crack
      in it anywhere - straight up. But using a foothold is OK - the problem
      is that sometimes we get confused and think that the foothold is
      important in and of itself - but its not. It just gives us something to
      hold onto - and then to let go of.

      As far as "enlightenment" goes - in the Mahayana tradition all beings
      attain enlightenment together. That hasn't happened yet (at least it
      doesn't look like it to  me!) - so its hard to say what it will be like.

      - Curt

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Show all 170 messages in this topic