GFN factoring status information and request.

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2002
      I've finally reached an important milestone - I've sieved the GFN range
      for exponent 131072 up to p=50*10^15 (in fact, most of the way up to 65Q).
      I've analysed the densities, the rates, and the range sizes, and finally
      come up with some tentative conclusions about sieving depth.

      The highlights are:
      - That for this exponent the wide sieve algorithm seems _24_ times faster
      than the old trial division method.
      - That the old trial division technique would have stopped being useful, as
      it would be slower that just PRPing, _quite a long time ago_.
      - The true sieve is still noticably faster than PRPing, and should continue

      I've put the data from which I drew those conclusions on the slightly tidied
      web-page
      http://fatphil.org/maths/GFN/status.html#131072
      I'd appreciate it if those familiar with GFN testing could read over the
      data and verify that I've not made some horrendous boob.
      Those who've dealt with a part of the 131072 range who can verify that my
      timings appear realistic. Some really surprised me, in particular my second
      point above that the trial division technique is now utterly redundant for
      the range (which was effectively my target in the first place, anything more
      is pure bonus). I'd really like confirmation of that proto-fact.

      Pretty please ;-)

      Phil

      =====
      First rule of Factor Club - you do not talk about Factor Club.
      Second rule of Factor Club - you DO NOT talk about Factor Club.
      Third rule of Factor Club - when the cofactor is prime, or you've trial-
      divided up to the square root of the number, the factoring is over.

      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/