primality tests on commutator curves

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2002
      Funny, on the day I stand up for the "the literature" for their description
      of the strong probable primality test, I think I find a bug in an oft-cited
      publication!

      The above-mentioned paper, Algorithm 3.11 (Miller Rabin test) (page 26 in
      the PDF version).

      He's completely messed it up, hasn't he? I mean _totally_. Embarassingly so.
      (5 is composite, as are most of 13, 17, ... 4n+1 ... most of the time.)

      Phil

      =====
      First rule of Factor Club - you do not talk about Factor Club.
      Second rule of Factor Club - you DO NOT talk about Factor Club.
      Third rule of Factor Club - when the cofactor is prime, or you've trial-
      divided up to the square root of the number, the factoring is over.

      http://faith.yahoo.com
    • tech_newsletters
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2002
        --- In primenumbers@y..., Phil Carmody <thefatphil@y...> wrote:
        > Funny, on the day I stand up for the "the literature" for their
        description
        > of the strong probable primality test, I think I find a bug in an
        oft-cited
        > publication!
        >
        > The above-mentioned paper, Algorithm 3.11 (Miller Rabin test) (page
        26 in
        > the PDF version).

        In which above-mentioned paper?

        Michael
      • paulunderwooduk
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2002
          --- In primenumbers@y..., "tech_newsletters" <tech_newsletters@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In primenumbers@y..., Phil Carmody <thefatphil@y...> wrote:
          > > Funny, on the day I stand up for the "the literature" for their
          > description
          > > of the strong probable primality test, I think I find a bug in an
          > oft-cited
          > > publication!
          > >
          > > The above-mentioned paper, Algorithm 3.11 (Miller Rabin test)
          (page
          > 26 in
          > > the PDF version).
          >
          > In which above-mentioned paper?