Re: Sub-KP square testing

  • David Broadhurst
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2002
      Phil: To find the 5 top triplets at
      http://www.ltkz.demon.co.uk/ktuplets.htm#largest3
      I had recourse to sub-BLS square testing:
      but it was, as you may infer from the cubic Ansatz,
      rather mild; pfgw asked only for -x5231887
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
        --- David Broadhurst <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:
        > Phil: To find the 5 top triplets at
        > http://www.ltkz.demon.co.uk/ktuplets.htm#largest3
        > I had recourse to sub-BLS square testing:
        > but it was, as you may infer from the cubic Ansatz,
        > rather mild; pfgw asked only for -x5231887

        Ah yes, I saw that announcement while I was on holiday, but didn't have
        enough time to congratulate you there and then. It's nice to see clever,
        but easily accessible, maths smarts bear fruit.

        Only 6 minutes work, by the looks of it. Scaling up indicates that 10^12
        might take (on a similarly sized number) over 2 years. I reckon a sieve
        should do that range in minutes.

        I wonder if some bizarre kinky 3-way divide-and-conquer CRT
        split/sort/combining method would win the race though. (That's all most of
        these square tests are - checking simultanious modular properties)

        However, I guess the efficacity of either will have to remain unknown
        until someone actually encounters such a situation where they need just
        2 extra digits, and they've already ECMed like Billy-oh. I trust they'll
        pipe up when they do (David? Andy? Anyone?!). Well in advance, that is,
        if they're interested in the CRT one - it's just random firings in my
        brain at the moment, but it's just a gut feel that it should work, and
        my guts are usually right. However, the GenSv method is ready to roll
        as we speak.

        Phil

        =====
        First rule of Factor Club - you do not talk about Factor Club.
        Second rule of Factor Club - you DO NOT talk about Factor Club.
        Third rule of Factor Club - when the cofactor is prime, or you've trial-
        divided up to the square root of the number, the factoring is over.

        http://sbc.yahoo.com