Therminology question

  • Marcin Lipiński
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2002
      Hello,
      Does anybody know what's the name of numbers which are prime themselves and their binary representation treated as if it was decimal is also prime?
      e.g. 3 is such number because it's prime and in binary system it's 11 (eleven in decimal - prime).
      And maybe there is no name for this property? Does anyone know some bigger primes of this property?
      Regards,
      Marcin

      =========
      'Why do you physicists always need so expensive equipment?
      Faculty of Mathematics requires money only for paper,
      pencils and waste-paper baskets, and Faculty of Philosophy
      is even better - there's no need even for paper-waste baskets.'
      Written by anonymous dean of an university.

    • Jon Perry
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2002
        >Does anybody know what's the name of numbers which are prime themselves and
        their binary >>representation treated as if it was decimal is also prime?

        Dunno. 'multi-base prime'? Makes me think of a conjecture - prove that every
        prime in base10, when expressed in some other base is also a prime when cast
        in base10

        >Does anyone know some bigger primes of this property?

        See A064507 for a similar idea.

        Jon Perry
        perry@...
        http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths
        BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
        http://www.brainbench.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2002
          >Does anybody know what's the name of numbers which are prime themselves and
          their binary >>representation treated as if it was decimal is also prime?

          Dunno. 'multi-base prime'? Makes me think of a conjecture - prove that every
          prime in base10, when expressed in some other base is also a prime when cast
          in base10
          It's easy to prove:
          every prime in base (prime-1) is expressed as 11 which is obviously prime
          in base10. The same for every number.
          Regards,

          Which may be called 'trivial'. Is it true for all primes in a non-trivial
          base? P.S. I consider base (prime+k) trivial too.