Re: USAMO

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2002
      Jack:

      > I had been "discovered" by the county math team coach,
      > who insisted that I find a way to take the exam.
      > In 9th grade, I took the USAMO for the first time
      > -- then again in 10th and 12th grades, including
      > a top-12 finish my senior year.

      I have good friends in US, UK and Russia who have been
      through such competitive mills and have clearly not been
      harmed by them.

      Even so, it seems to me that these contests
      give the wrong idea about what good math
      (and much else) truly requires.

      Arete (the pursuit of excellence) is not the same
      as javelin throwing...

      Best