Sophie heuristics

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2002
      >probability that a prime is also a Sophie Germain prime
      see section 3.5 and Table 6 of Chris Caldwell's note:
      http://www.utm.edu/~caldwell/preprints/Heuristics.pdf
    • krem1234
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2002
        > see section 3.5 and Table 6 of Chris Caldwell's note:
        > http://www.utm.edu/~caldwell/preprints/Heuristics.pdf

        cool - I see how they got the predicted # less than N (after figuring
        out to use ln instead of log on my graph calc). Now I'm just
        wondering what program you guys use to calculate these equations - on
        my graphing clac I get infinity or undef for a lot of answers bc. the
        #'s are so large.
        Right now I'm working on Sophie Germain primes with 10544 digits, so
        I was going to calculate the # of Sophie Germain primes w/ 10544
        digits = 2C * $(ln(y)*ln(2y))^-1 dy (where $ = integral) w/ limits
        10^10543 (lower) and 10^10544 (upper) to estimate the # of s.g.
        primes between 10^10543 and 10^10544 (ie out of a possible 9 *
        10^10543), then divide 9 * 10^10543 by the answer the see how many
        #'s I'd have to search through on average before I found a s.g.
        prime. Unfortunately my calc gives me garbage answers - any
        reccommended prog's?
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2002
          > Unfortunately my calc gives me garbage answers
          With such a narrow range (on a logarithmic scale)
          you make safely estimate the integral
          as the integrand times the increment.
          David Broadhurst