Re: [PrimeNumbers] Program to manipulate big numbers

  • jfribrg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
      >Can someone direct me to a program that'll let me
      >add/subtract/multiply/divide 20000 bit numbers?

      If you want a basic calculator, the Unix utility bc may serve your purposes. Otherwise , the programming languages Java and Perl both support multiprecision arithmetic. There are plenty of others, but these are the ones I use most.
    • Paul Landon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
        Primeform is the best "pocket calculator" for big numbers.
        As a side effect it even tests for probable or proven primality too! :-)
        It has many functions such as gcd, about the only useful thing that it
        doesn't have is a modulo exponentiation :-( well it has it inside but you
        can't use it from the UI )-:

        I have recently found a new toy -
        GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library (GMP)
        http://swox.com/gmp/

        and I've heard good things about LiDIA which uses GMP,
        linked amongst others from that web page.

        Cheers,
        Paul Landon