Program to manipulate big numbers

  • Barubary
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 10:04 PM
      Can someone direct me to a program that'll let me
      add/subtract/multiply/divide 20000 bit numbers?

      Thanks,

      -- Barubary
    • jfribrg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 7:34 AM
        >Can someone direct me to a program that'll let me
        >add/subtract/multiply/divide 20000 bit numbers?

        If you want a basic calculator, the Unix utility bc may serve your purposes. Otherwise , the programming languages Java and Perl both support multiprecision arithmetic. There are plenty of others, but these are the ones I use most.
      • Paul Landon
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 8:44 AM
          Primeform is the best "pocket calculator" for big numbers.
          As a side effect it even tests for probable or proven primality too! :-)
          It has many functions such as gcd, about the only useful thing that it
          doesn't have is a modulo exponentiation :-( well it has it inside but you
          can't use it from the UI )-:

          I have recently found a new toy -
          GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library (GMP)
          http://swox.com/gmp/

          and I've heard good things about LiDIA which uses GMP,
          linked amongst others from that web page.

          Cheers,
          Paul Landon