[OT] the collapsing of spaces within mail

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2002
      I was recently asked what:

      > > p O3
      > > 13 3 \
      > > 7 6 \_ 3 |
      > > 73 12 \_ 6 / |
      > > 5 4 _12 / |_ 1
      > > 757 9 \ |
      > > 19 18 \_9 | |
      > > 37 18 / |_ 3 /
      > > 1621 45 \ |
      > > 181 45 | |
      > > 271 30 \_15 _ 45 |_ 9 /
      > > 31 30 / |
      > > 4561 15 _ 45 |
      > > 11 5 _ 45 /

      was supposed to mean, when it came to covering sets for the k.3^n+1
      problem. It appears that at some point yahoo has collapsed spaces,
      and ruined my formatting. (I've even checked the HTML source of the
      archive, as it serves it, and it's serving it with the spaces
      collapsed.)

      Can people _offlist_ tell me whether they received the above (which
      the yahoogroup archive now contains :-( ), or whether they received
      something more like:

      > > p....O3
      > > 13....3..................\
      > > 7.....6.........\_3......|
      > > 73...12.....\_6./........|
      > > 5.....4._12./............|_.1
      > > 757...9..............\...|
      > > 19...18.\_9..........|...|
      > > 37...18./............|_3./
      > > 1621.45..........\...|
      > > 181..45..........|...|
      > > 271..30.\_15._45.|_9./
      > > 31...30./........|
      > > 4561.15......_45.|
      > > 11....5......_45./

      Where I've stuck dots in where there were spaces.
      Of course, even the above doesn't work if a proportional font is
      used!

      I honestly don't remember what I received back myself, so I don't
      know quite where yahoo is making a dogs breakfast of my formatting.

      Phil

      =====
      --
      "One cannot delete the Web browser from KDE without
      losing the ability to manage files on the user's own

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com