Re: [PrimeNumbers] 3+4i mod 5+2i

    Message 1 of 33 , May 9, 2002
      --- mikeoakes2@... wrote:
      > --- thefatphil@... wrote:
      >
      > > Anyway, where is the answer to my question in my previous reply?
      > > Or do you not actually read the contents of my posts before
      > replying
      > > critically?
      >
      > Oh dear, haven't I yet responded to your question of yesterday
      > morning:
      > > Which canon?
      > That must because I've got a job, a life, etc. to fit in as well.
      > (Only joking of course,...)

      However, you managed to continue the thread after the question. i.e.
      you deliberately ignored the question. Not a matter of time, a matter
      of manners.

      You may have noticed how others have fallen on the harsh side of my
      tongue when repeatedly failing to answer questions. I'd never want to
      consider you, whose mathematical input to the list to be positive and
      useful, in the same class as the others who have expressed the trait.
      The questions may appear rhetorical, but that's the orator in me, if
      I ask a question then it's because I'm interested in the answer.

      > The book "A Classical Introduction to Modern Number Theory" by
      > Ireland and
      > Rosen seems to be very highly thought of. Their Chapter 9 proves
      > (among many
      > other nontrivial things) Gauss's law of biquadratic reciprocity
      > (that
      > discovery of which he was more proud, at the end of his life, than
      > of any
      > other, which is really saying something) by making essential use
      > of the
      > representation I was describing.

      Thanks for that. My NT library is a bit sparse, basically Rose and a
      few prime number related books (PNaCP, PNaCMfF, tNBoPNR), but I'm
      putting together a shopping list...

      > >> Are you able to characterize the
      > >> set of residues easily even this special case, never mind do
      the
      > same for
      > the
      > >> general Gaussian prime modulus (a+ib) ??
      > My big-instance followup post yesterday I was an attempt (in
      haste)
      > to goad
      > you into some sort of _algorithmic_ reply. You seemed - and still
      > seem to me
      > - to have done little more than hand-waving in that respect.

      My first reply, the first reply, had the handwaving
      "You might for example take the member with the smallest norm."
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/6752

      My third reply had the algorithm explicitly stated
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/6763
      I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that either you
      didn't see that mail, or you missed the algorithm in it, as it's only
      one line long.

      I really don't enjoy repeating myself, so when I say something that's
      not been understood I try to find different ways of presenting it.
      Consequently, trying to goad me into doing something that I've
      already done is going to fail. Repeatedly.

      Phil

      =====
      --
      "One cannot delete the Web browser from KDE without
      losing the ability to manage files on the user's own

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
      Message 33 of 33 , May 9, 2002