Primes: The Basics -- e-info sites.. (a small hint)

  • Richard Traynham
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2002
      On the EFF site, when you go to the "lists of primes"
      (very awesomely awesome quantities of primes!)

      The exact page is:
      http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Thinktank/2434/prime/primenumbers.html

      or from the main page

      http://www.eff.org/awards/prime-info.html

      click on "Hundreds of thousands of primes"

      After you search, the list of primes is presented
      as a list one-per-line in the window to the RIGHT
      hand side.

      If you want to cut and paste these into a file,

      Click in the window,

      then press CTRL-A

      (this should "high-light" all of the numbers,

      then press CTRL-C and then open your fav
      editor (on windows, you will have to use
      the WORD-PAD, rather than notepad) -- 50,000
      primes at a stretch is a whole buncha characters!)

      then click in the text area of your editor,
      and press CTRL-V.

      I forget how to do this on Unix -- too many years,
      I'm affraid.

      Anyway, I'll be studying the first 50,000 primes
      for a while now -- already found "the tropical
      islands (three triple primes in a row with NO
      other primes in between them:

      --- look for details on my maths pages:

      http://www.mac-2001.com/maths/prime-twins.htm

      It looks like this (in base 10):

      3251 3253 *** 3257 3259 3299 3301
      3329 3331
      3359---3361------3371----3373------3389---3391
      3461 3463***
      *3467 3469 3527 3529 3539 3541
      3557 3559
      3581 3583 3671 3673 3767 3769
      3821 3823
      3851 3853 3917 3919 3929 3931
      4001 4003
      4019 4021 4091 4093 4127 4129
      4157 4159
      4217---4219------4229----4231------4241---4243
      4259 4261
      4271 4273 4337 4339 4421 4423
      4481 4483

      the "----" es connect the "islands".

      amazing, hunh?

      -- Richard T.

      (nite all)

      =====
      Check out my web site: http://www.mac-2001.com
      (A haven for the discussion of "Meaningful Ideas")

      "If you take a dog and feed him and make him famous,
      he will not bite you. That is the principle
      difference between a dog and a man" -- Mark Twain.

      http://health.yahoo.com