Why did Phil C. cross the road?

  • Jon Perry
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2002
      To see if it made a PRP prime number.

      Jon Perry
      perry@...
      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths
      BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
      http://www.brainbench.com
    • Richard Traynham
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2002
        re: Why did Phil C. cross the road, etc.

        Primatosis -- that most dreaded of diseases, that
        is caused by the in-ability of the mind to give
        up thinking about primes.

        Sometimes at night my last few thoughts before
        I drift off to sleep, go like this:

        Ok, so 101 is prime, what about 1001
        let's see

        143
        +--------
        -7
        30
        -28
        21 damn

        what about
        142
        +-------
        -7
        30
        -28
        20
        -14
        61

        +---------------
        11 | 10001.....

        what about 100001 ?
        what about 1000001
        what about 10000001

        etc, etc.

        ...(Fade to "psychiatric clinic")...

        The patients wander around mumbling to themselves
        things like. "Yes, but if 2^p - q (where both p and
        q are primes) has an upper bound of a least likely
        prime (as defined by the working lemma.....").

        ...(the doctors shake their heads sad-ly)...

        ...(VOICE OVER)...

        Yes, there is no cure for primatosis,
        but there IS hope.

        Won't you give?
        Do it today, you'll feel better about it tommorow....

        =====
        Check out my web site: http://www.mac-2001.com
        (A haven for the discussion of "Meaningful Ideas")

        "If you take a dog and feed him and make him famous,
        he will not bite you. That is the principle
        difference between a dog and a man" -- Mark Twain.

        http://health.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2002
          --- Richard Traynham <therichardt@...> wrote:
          > re: Why did Phil C. cross the road, etc.
          >
          > Primatosis -- that most dreaded of diseases, that
          > is caused by the in-ability of the mind to give
          > up thinking about primes.

          Believe me, if while sitting in a 90C sauna, as relaxed and limp as a
          human can be, you start weighing up various prime-hunting algorithms,
          then you've really got a bad case of it.

          > Yes, there is no cure for primatosis,
          > but there IS hope.

          I know this is on-topic, and thus maybe in the wrong thread, but Paul
          & Jack - the improvements from a big-steps/baby-steps are probably
          less than those that are available from doing a vast number of k
          simultaniously (which actaully makes it a fixed-n sieve CC-esque with
          vast number of powers (the n's [*])). If you want to do the sieve for
          many k, then it's better to do them all in parallel rather than using
          the potentially faster for a single k (who knows) discrete logarithm.
          However, you need loads of RAM, and need to look at the
          gather-read/scatter-write cache issues to actually be practical.
          However, half-gig machines aren't that rare nowadays, and with it
          appears that 'potential candidate removal list' technique is one
          entering the sieving field since my recent GFNSieve communications,
          and maybe that can be of use.

          post-sauna Phil

          http://health.yahoo.com