Re: [PrimeNumbers] 2^p+3

  • mikeoakes2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2002
      AFAIK the largest PRP of form 2^n+3 is still the one found by me in July
      2001:-
      2^122550+3

      It is the 19th largest known PRP, according to Henri Lifchitz's database at
      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hlifchitz/

      The sequence for lower values is Sloane's A057732. I had searched up to
      n=127677, and proved primality for n <=2370 using Titanix, finishing this
      project on 15 Aug 2001.

      (See also my post to the primenumbers group dated 8 Jul 2002.)

      Mike Oakes

      Paul.Jobling@... writes:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I was just wondering what the state of play was with looking for a
      > (pseudo-)prime of the form 2^p+3 - what search limits have been reached,
      > and
      > have any PRP's been found? I recall that there was some searching being
      > done a
      > couple of years ago (I think), but I do not know what (if any) results were
      > found?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Paul.

    • rlberry2002
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2002
        Please pardon my ignorance; I am here to learn to grow in my
        knowledge of number theory. However, I will try to be more careful
        in responding to posts before I have fully thought out my response -
        you could extend me the same courtesy.

        Your example of N=2^p + 12213 violates one of the two qualifications
        that I laid down - "the equation cannot be reducible". I typically
        would use this tenet for an equation like 4n + 1 (which does have
        infinitely many primes in it)where n is odd. The tenet holds for
        numbers of the form 2^p + n also, it just is usually harder to find
        the pattern that this type of equation reduces to. In your example,
        you provide the pattern which violates my first condition: that is
        for 2, 3, 1 Mod 12, 5 Mod 12, 7 Mod 12, & 11 Mod 12; there a fixed
        set of possible outcomes each of which will have fixed factors
        depending upon which of the outcomes it fall under.

        For instance, the equation 30Y + 35 = N generates infinitely many 5
        Mod 6 numbers none of which are prime. This equation is easy since it
        reduces to 5*(6Y + 7) = N; numbers of the form 2^p + N require a
        deeper analysis as long as N itself does not have a factor of 2^p.

        Just a few thoughts

        Robert

        Message 3 of 22 , May 1, 2002
          --- rlberry2002 <rlberry2002@...> wrote:
          > Please pardon my ignorance; I am here to learn to grow in my
          > knowledge of number theory. However, I will try to be more careful
          > in responding to posts before I have fully thought out my response
          > - you could extend me the same courtesy.

          I would trust that such courtesy is demonstrated on the list.
          (Yeah, flame me off list, you won't be the first... (or the second)
          :-) )

          > Your example of N=2^p + 12213 violates one of the two
          > qualifications
          > that I laid down - "the equation cannot be reducible".

          Strictly, it is irreducible. The letter of the law is obeyed.

          > I typically
          > would use this tenet for an equation like 4n + 1 (which does have
          > infinitely many primes in it)where n is odd. The tenet holds for
          > numbers of the form 2^p + n also, it just is usually harder to find
          >
          > the pattern that this type of equation reduces to. In your
          > example,
          > you provide the pattern which violates my first condition: that is
          >
          > for 2, 3, 1 Mod 12, 5 Mod 12, 7 Mod 12, & 11 Mod 12; there a fixed
          > set of possible outcomes each of which will have fixed factors
          > depending upon which of the outcomes it fall under.

          Sure, but that's not redicibility. What Jack has highlighted is an
          intrinsically interesting property about that sequence of numbers.
          This property will ba shared by an infinite number of other
          sequences, not just the ...+12213. The property isn't reducibility,
          and that term was used, it's a very precisely defined term, so Jack
          and others can't be faulted for taking the term at face falue.
          Perhaps the term "with no intrinsic predicatble factorisations" or
          similar could be used to cover such concepts.

          Such forms are certainly vastly interesting, the Sierpinski/Riesel
          problems (that Jack mentioned, IIRC) are all about whether there are
          primes with forms that have no intricsic predictable factorisations.

          (hmmm, reminder to self or others - is there a link waiting to be
          added to the yahoogroup regarding the Sierpinski/Riesel problems?)

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • rlberry2002
          Message 4 of 22 , May 1, 2002
            Phil,

            As always, your comments and insights are welcome. I had to do a
            little refresher myself on Sierpinski numbers: a positive, odd
            integer k for which integers of the form k*2^p + 1 are all composite.
            I would suggest that there is little here which serves as an adequate
            counter example to the conjecture that I previously made.

            First, for all k less than 78557, at least 1 prime has been found to
            be generated by k*2^p + 1 with only 19 exceptions (and I feel it is
            just that the first prime solution for these 19 k's has not yet been
            found). It is only conjectured that k=78557 is a Sierpinski number.
            It is likely that the smallest Sierpinski number (if indeed one does
            exist) is so large that direct factorization, indirect factorization,
            etc. will not be feasible. One final point concerning k=78557 will
            show the difficulty in analyzing these numbers: For k=78557, p=300
            you get a 95-digit result. In other words, the 300th example for
            k=78557 is already a number of such magnitude that only 1 number in
            300 will be prime. Guess what the odds look like for the next 300
            values of p.

            Indeed, any series of numbers of the form k*N^p +/- c are very
            difficult to analysis except with indirect methods.

            Regards,

            Robert

          • Jack Brennen
            Message 5 of 22 , May 1, 2002
              rlberry2002 wrote:
              > As always, your comments and insights are welcome. I had to do a
              > little refresher myself on Sierpinski numbers: a positive, odd
              > integer k for which integers of the form k*2^p + 1 are all composite.
              > I would suggest that there is little here which serves as an adequate
              > counter example to the conjecture that I previously made.
              >
              > First, for all k less than 78557, at least 1 prime has been found to
              > be generated by k*2^p + 1 with only 19 exceptions (and I feel it is
              > just that the first prime solution for these 19 k's has not yet been
              > found). It is only conjectured that k=78557 is a Sierpinski number.

              We're glad you did a little research on Sierpinski numbers.

              However, you must have missed something. It is PROVEN, and can be shown
              using nothing more than very simple arithmetic, that k=78557 is
              a Sierpinski number. The proof, in condensed form:

              If n == 0 (mod 2), 78557*2^n+1 is divisible by 3
              If n == 1 (mod 4), 78557*2^n+1 is divisible by 5
              If n == 3 (mod 36), 78557*2^n+1 is divisible by 73
              If n == 15 (mod 36), 78557*2^n+1 is divisible by 19
              If n == 27 (mod 36), 78557*2^n+1 is divisible by 37
              If n == 7 (mod 12), 78557*2^n+1 is divisible by 7
              If n == 11 (mod 12), 78557*2^n+1 is divisible by 13

              Every integer n satisfies one of these seven congruences.

              The unproven conjecture is that k=78557 is the
              *smallest* Sierpinski number.
            • Gary Chaffey
              Message 6 of 22 , May 3, 2002
                Does the idea of 2^p+3 extend to 2^p-3? I have found
                that 2^233-3 is PRP now p is of the form 60k-7. Is
                this just a coincedence or is there some sort of
                pattern.
                I haven't checked
                2^233= a mod 233
                2^(2^233)= 2^n mod a
                Like Norman did for 2^p+3 with p=7 and 67
                Gary

                http://health.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 22 , May 3, 2002
                  --- Gary Chaffey <garychaffey@...> wrote:
                  > Does the idea of 2^p+3 extend to 2^p-3? I have found
                  > that 2^233-3 is PRP now p is of the form 60k-7. Is
                  > this just a coincedence or is there some sort of
                  > pattern.

                  This can be checked as follows.

                  If 5 | 2^x-3 then 2^x==3 (5) then x==3 (4)
                  If 7 | 2^x-3 then 2^x==3 (7) no solution
                  If 11 | 2^x-3 then 2^x==3 (11) then x==8 (10)
                  If 13 | 2^x-3 then 2^x==3 (13) then x==4 (12)

                  These remove
                  3,7,11,15,19,23,27,31,35,39,43,47,51,55,59 (mod 60)
                  8 18 28 38 48 58 (mod 60)
                  4 16 28 40 52 (mod 60)

                  There are other primes that add to this mod 60 period, obviously.

                  Not every residue is removed, which leads me to suspect that 53 isn't
                  the only residue primes will be found along.

                  Phil

                  =====
                  --
                  "One cannot delete the Web browser from KDE without
                  losing the ability to manage files on the user's own

                  http://health.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 3, 2002
                    A little reminder: if you find a PRP of the form
                    2^n-3 or 2^n+3 (for any n, not just a prime) you may
                    have prospects of a BLS (which failing a KP) proof
                    by looking at work on factorization of Phi(2,k),
                    since, in *either* case, *both* N-1 and N+1 are
                    algebraically factorizable into these intensively
                    studied base-2 cyclotomic numbers:
                    http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/homes/ssw/cun/index.html
                    Apologies to those for whom this is blindingly obvious.
                    David Broadhurst