Re: [PrimeNumbers] Factoring

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2002
      --- paulmillscv <paulmillscv@...> wrote:
      > Yes, firmware (a combination of algorithms in hardware) is very
      > underexplored for practical implementation of algorithms. So it
      > remains now to define a unit of work in mathematics/computer
      > science. I imagine something like the 16 bit signed multiplication
      > is the unit?

      If you know that you will be spending all your time doing bignum
      multiplies, then you will look at the most optimal bignum
      multiplication algorithm at the firmware level. You can do bignum
      multiplies in almost constant time, but it all depends on how much
      silicon you want to devote to it. If you know that you're unlikely to
      go over 512 bits, then you might want a 512*512 multiplier unit for
      example. Again, you have choices of whether you want to minimise
      latency or not. If you can pipeline large quantities of operations,
      then you don't need a low latency. If everything must be serialised,
      then you've got to go for a more expensive low latency design.
      (Either that or you explicitly work on two or more different problems
      in parallel, but that in turn requires some smarts...)

      http://games.yahoo.com/