Re: Twin Prime Trick Puzzle!

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18 1:20 PM
      --- rlberry2002 <rlberry2002@...> wrote:
      > --- In primenumbers@y..., Phil Carmody <thefatphil@y...> wrote:
      > > Take a twin prime pair a-1 and a+1.
      > > Now form Pa = (sqrt(a-1)+sqrt(a+1))^a.
      > >
      > > Also take a (non-twin) [prime] pair b-2 and b+2
      > > Then form Pb = (sqrt(b-2)+sqrt(b+2))^b
      > >
      > > What interesting feature does Pa have that Pb doesn't have, and
      > why?

      > Hint #1: ^a and ^b are a real distraction!

      I wouldn't say so - in fact I'd say they're an _integral_ part of the
      property I'm thinking of. (hint embedded in that, if you hadn't
      guessed :-) .)

      I forgot to say that a high-precision calculator is required for any
      terms apart from the smallest few, and the smallest few barely
      display the property.

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/