Re: [PrimeNumbers] p^2+10p

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2002
      --- Ronald Hallam <ronhallam@...> wrote:
      > Eric
      > In this particular example p = 60 and k = 17, but I want a more
      > general
      > way of solving these types of equations, as they have cropped up
      > into
      > something that I am looking at.
      > That is without writing a program that loops through millions of
      > calculations.
      >
      > The numbers involved are usually a substantial amount larger.

      Ron,
      You could apply a quatratic residue sieve to drastically reduce the
      number of ks you have to look at if it turns out that there's no
      other method apart from brute force.
      However, I doubt that's the case though. I'd have thought that
      completion of the square on the other side would yield a simple
      difference of squares expression, which would probably be solved by
      factorisation. Top of my head, that is, not actually tried it.

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/