Residual Factoring Method

  • Milton Brown
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002
      My slides on the Residual Factoring Method and the
      factoring of RSA 100 by this method, as well as others,
      are at the following link:

      http://www.ecs.fullerton.edu/~mbrown/

      Milton L. Brown
      miltbrown@...

    • Paul Leyland
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002

        Thanks Milton. I've downloaded them and I'll take a look.

        As a pedant, I must warn you that your including sub-exponential but
        superpolynomial algorithms under a common header "exponential" is
        guaranteed to bring down criticism on your head. Purely to avoid
        needless hatemail, I suggest that you re-phrase those portions of your
        slide set. If you mean superpolynomial you should say so, and not claim
        things to be exponential which are *not* exponential in a mathematical
        sense.

        Paul
      • Kent Nguyen
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002
          Hi Milton,

          Can you export it to HTML format -- this ppt format is so stupid that I
          couldn't open it.

          Thanks,
          --kent

          Milton Brown writes:

          > My slides on the Residual Factoring Method and the
          > factoring of RSA 100 by this method, as well as others,
          > are at the following link:
          >
          > http://www.ecs.fullerton.edu/~mbrown/
          >

          > Milton L. Brown
          > miltbrown@...

          > Buy Stock for $4.
          > No Minimums.
          > FREE Money 2002.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/8HYolB/TM

        • Hadley, Thomas H (Tom), ALINF
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002
            Well, Milton, I'm certainly disappointed. I thought you might have
            something this time, but when I look at your spreadsheets and your
            powerpoint slides, I see nothing of substance.

            It looks like you have painstakingly filled in thousands of cells in
            many spreadsheets that inexorably lead you to an answer that you knew
            ahead of time. Nowhere is it explained how these numbers are generated.

            For instance, here are a couple of columns from your RSA-100 sheet,
            (http://www.ecs.fullerton.edu/~mbrown/100.xls), specifically Columns D
            and E, rows 9 through 20.

            30 17
            31 30
            32 85
            33 103
            34 69
            35 29
            36 63
            37 133
            38 5.7
            39 84
            40 2.4
            41 88

            Column D was derived earlier to be the first digit of one (or both) of
            the factors of RSA-100. What is Column E? You have highlighted E-16,
            E-17 and E-19 presumably because they are a maximum and the two minima
            and indeed one factor starts with 37 and the other with 40. But how was
            column E generated? There are no formulas in the entire spreadsheet.
            Without this information, what are we to make of it?

            Now, you may be withholding this information because your method isn't
            perfected yet and you don't want someone else stealing your idea. Fine.
            If you would demonstrate that your method can work on numbers that you
            don't know the answer to already, then I would think you really had
            something, but these spreadsheets don't demonstrate anything of
            substance.

            On the other hand, if you are just trying to jerk our collective chain,
            my hat is off to you! You have managed to string us along masterfully.

            Tom Hadley

            P.S. Don't claim that the method is explained in your Powerpoint slides.
            Here is the only slide that mentions any detail about the method:

            > Residual Factorization Method
            >
            > Integer to be factored N
            > Integer X, next prime up X'
            > Integer Y, integer divide N / X', and truncate
            > Integer Y' next prime up from Y
            > Integer R, the residual is
            >
            > R = X' * Y' - N
            >
            > Minimums of R determine the digits of the factors of N

            It leaves some information missing, like where do you start with X? and
            how do the minimums of R determine the digits of the factors of N?