Re: [PrimeNumbers]

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
      --- Hugo Scolnik <scolnik@...> wrote:
      > It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have
      > been searching for evidence which could support this.

      Here are some pointers:
      - For those of a religeous persuasion, man in certainly not whole.
      - It appears only laudanum/opium-heads think that man is merely
      imaginary.
      - We all agree though, that man's complex.
      - Again, the transcendental question splits the field, if you pardon
      the pun, depending on philosophical or religeous standpoint. If we
      are transcendental, then we certainly aren't rational.

      Hope that helps,

      Phil

      =====
      --
      .sig selecter broken, please ignore.

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Nathan Russell
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
        At 07:11 AM 3/6/2002 -0800, Phil wrote:
        >--- Hugo Scolnik <scolnik@...> wrote:
        > > It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have
        > > been searching for evidence which could support this.
        >
        >Here are some pointers:
        >- For those of a religeous persuasion, man in certainly not whole.

        But in order to be natural, man must be whole.

        >- It appears only laudanum/opium-heads think that man is merely
        >imaginary.
        >- We all agree though, that man's complex.

        So man is real, which implies not being imaginary?

        >- Again, the transcendental question splits the field, if you pardon
        >the pun, depending on philosophical or religeous standpoint. If we
        >are transcendental, then we certainly aren't rational.

        Personally, I was nearly transcendental last month when I took 1.4 g of
        caffeine pills. Would this not require that caffeine itself is
        transcendental, given that swallowing is an operation of finite
        length? (Or, of course, I could be transcendental, but I prefer to think
        of myself as rational).

        Of course, since I am a 19-year-old college student whom many would regard
        as a better example of boy than of man, this whole discussion may be invalid.

        Nathan