Re: [OT[OT]] UTMs and linenumbering

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2002
      Oh Paul, I can be much more needlessly obscure than that.

      > "GOTO 137.03599765"

      The question is: to what accuracy is 1/alpha known?
      When I last studied studied this (around 1996)
      there were 2 answers:

      1) Good old experimental skepticism:

      1/alpha
      = 137.0359979
      +/- 0.0000032

      2) Theory-laden arrogance:

      Combining the expermiental value of the electron's
      g-2 (anomalous magnetic moment) and the theoretical
      prediction as a perturbation expansion in alpha
      one may extract

      1/alpha =
      = 137.03599941
      +/- 0.00000056

      They agreed, but the theorists' sigma was ten times smaller
      than the experimetalists'.

      The July 2000 Particle Data Booklet now has

      1/alpha =
      = 137.03599976
      +/- 0.00000050

      which is presumably exptl and indicates that we theorists
      did a good job.

      So a reasonable command would be GOTO 137036/10**3
      (which ought to be a integer line number in Fortran :-)

      [OT [OT]]

      David
    • Paul Leyland
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2002
        > Oh Paul, I can be much more needlessly obscure than that.

        That is doubtless true.

        However, I succeeded in being needlessly obscure anyway. No-one, yet,
        has picked up on my FOCAL reference. Only truly boring old farts will
        be familiar with that one. I leave you to decide whether the boring
        operator is left or right associative.

        Ok, this is now so badly off-topic I will refrain from meandering even
        further afield.

        Ob primes: I forgot to mention in my response to the "what are you
        playing at" questionnaire that I'm working on the Home Primes problem
        and, in particular, trying to find HP(49).

        Paul