RE: [PrimeNumbers] First Occurences of Gruesome Runs

  • Jon Perry
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002

      11, 3,13, 7, 5, 2,17

      8:
      16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23
      2 ,17, 3,19, 5, 7,11,23

      9:
      26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34
      13, 3, 7,29, 5,31, 2,11,17

      ---

      The change from my orignal list is with 7, and I haven't validated beyond 9.

      Jon Perry
      perry@...
      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry
      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths
      BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
      http://www.brainbench.com

    • Jon Perry
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
        In addition to David Cleaver's conjecture that there exists a grusome run of
        any length, I would like to add the conjecture that every integer is part of
        a gruesome run.

        This conjecture belies a new definition, which I have termed a 'dire
        straight'. A dire straight is the smallest gruesome run that contains an
        integer.

        This therefore implies the longest gruesome run that contains an integer is
        a 'horrible band'.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
          And a couple more:

          1)There exists a grusome run of every length

          2)Every integer partakes in a gruesome run

          3)No integer has a dire straight length equal to its horrible band length.

          4)An integer partakes in gruesome runs of all lengths between its dire
          straight length and its horrible band length.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
            5) Every conceivable combination of ad hoc definitions will
            be posted eventually.
          • jim_fougeron
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
              --- In primenumbers@y..., "djbroadhurst" <d.broadhurst@o...> wrote:
              > 5) Every conceivable combination of ad hoc definitions will
              > be posted eventually.

              5b) Each of these combinations will be posted one at a time, on a
              whim, without any forethought into fully (or even partly) thinking
              through the possible "set".

              5c) Each of these singly 1/100th thought out definitions
              (conjectures) will generally be sent with dozens of additional
              lines per posting filled in with insignificant items such as
              overblown .sig files and or the bottom of a top posted prior email
              (possibly not even relevant to the current "conjecture addition").
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                But Jim, just think how Jon outranks you.
                You are merely a DVP (David valued programmer)
                whereas Jon is a "BrainBench" MVP (M valued professional)
                and presumably M vastly outranks me,
                your truly grateful [*] user,
                David
                [*] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/openpfgw/message/786