RE: [PrimeNumbers] Gruesome Runs - New Record 18 and 25

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
      --- Jon Perry <perry@...> wrote:
      > There are an inifinte number of Gruesome 2 Runs, take 2^p, and
      > 2^p-1 prime.

      Ah, the infinitude of Mersenne primes, finally proved.

      Phil

      =====
      --
      .sig selecter broken, please ignore.

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • Jon Perry
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
        I was chuffed.

        Jon Perry
        perry@...
        http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry
        http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths
        BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
        http://www.brainbench.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
          1:

          2
          2

          2:
          2,3
          2,3

          3:
          3,4,5
          3,2,5

          4:

          4,5,6,7
          2,5,3,7

          5:

          7,8,9,10,11
          7,2,3, 5,11

          6:

          9,10,11,12,13,14
          3,5,11,2,13,7

          7:

          16,17,18,19,20,21,22
          2 ,17, 3,19, 5, 7,11

          8:

          16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23
          2 ,17, 3,19, 5, 7,11,23

          9:

          26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34
          13, 3, 7,29, 5,31, 2,11,17

          10:

          31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40
          31, 2,11,17, 7, 3,37,19,13, 5

          11:

          31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41
          31, 2,11,17, 7, 3,37,19,13, 5,41

          12:

          64,65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,74,75
          2,13,11,67,17,23, 7,71, 3,73,37, 5

          13:

          64,65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,74,75,76
          2,13,11,67,17,23, 7,71, 3,73,37, 5,19

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
            1:
            2
            2

            2:
            2,3
            2,3

            3:
            3,4,5
            3,2,5

            4:
            4,5,6,7
            2,5,3,7

            5:
            7,8,9,10,11
            7,2,3, 5,11

            6:
            9,10,11,12,13,14
            3, 5,11, 2,13, 7

            7:
            11,12,13,14,15,16,17
            11, 3,13, 7, 5, 2,17

            8:
            16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23
            2 ,17, 3,19, 5, 7,11,23

            9:
            26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34
            13, 3, 7,29, 5,31, 2,11,17

            ---

            The change from my orignal list is with 7, and I haven't validated beyond 9.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
              In addition to David Cleaver's conjecture that there exists a grusome run of
              any length, I would like to add the conjecture that every integer is part of
              a gruesome run.

              This conjecture belies a new definition, which I have termed a 'dire
              straight'. A dire straight is the smallest gruesome run that contains an
              integer.

              This therefore implies the longest gruesome run that contains an integer is
              a 'horrible band'.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                And a couple more:

                1)There exists a grusome run of every length

                2)Every integer partakes in a gruesome run

                3)No integer has a dire straight length equal to its horrible band length.

                4)An integer partakes in gruesome runs of all lengths between its dire
                straight length and its horrible band length.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                  5) Every conceivable combination of ad hoc definitions will
                  be posted eventually.
                • jim_fougeron
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                    --- In primenumbers@y..., "djbroadhurst" <d.broadhurst@o...> wrote:
                    > 5) Every conceivable combination of ad hoc definitions will
                    > be posted eventually.

                    5b) Each of these combinations will be posted one at a time, on a
                    whim, without any forethought into fully (or even partly) thinking
                    through the possible "set".

                    5c) Each of these singly 1/100th thought out definitions
                    (conjectures) will generally be sent with dozens of additional
                    lines per posting filled in with insignificant items such as
                    overblown .sig files and or the bottom of a top posted prior email
                    (possibly not even relevant to the current "conjecture addition").
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                      But Jim, just think how Jon outranks you.
                      You are merely a DVP (David valued programmer)
                      whereas Jon is a "BrainBench" MVP (M valued professional)
                      and presumably M vastly outranks me,
                      your truly grateful [*] user,
                      David
                      [*] http://groups.yahoo.com/group/openpfgw/message/786