[OT] UTMs and linenumbering

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 5:24 PM
      By heck, our Phil, when I were a young lad in Stockport in
      1960 me mum spent all of two-and-a-tanner on a Pears encyclopedia
      so I would know about them there Turing machines and transistors
      and wotnots. It said (69th edition: page F55)

      Line 1: Clear accumulator and add line 22 into it
      Line 2: Print contents of accumulator
      Line 3: Add line 22 to accumulator
      Line 4: Print contents of accumulator
      Line 19: Add line 22 to accumulator
      Line 20: Print contents of accumulator
      Line 21: Stop.
      Line 22: 0.30303

      And I said to meself: must be something better to
      do in life than write things like that.
      Then I found out about them there particles in Geneva
      (page F66) and thought that might be better to try.

      But I always remembered: proper Turing machines
      read programs with line numbers. So when I had
      to write a prgram about them there particles
      I knew it would always be best to "goto 137".

      David
    • Paul Leyland
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2 7:02 AM
        > From: djbroadhurst [mailto:d.broadhurst@...]
        > But I always remembered: proper Turing machines
        > read programs with line numbers. So when I had
        > to write a prgram about them there particles
        > I knew it would always be best to "goto 137".

        You have, perhaps inadvertently, indicated a regrettable limitation of
        FORTRAN. If you had been writing in FOCAL, it would have been more
        natural to write "GOTO 137.03599765"

        Paul

        (Do I get a prize for needless obscurity?)