Re: Computational prime projects

  • alpertron
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
      --- In primenumbers@y..., Hans.Rosenthal@t... wrote:
      > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
      > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
      > at present.
      [...]
      > I'm really curious about what all the members of this list are
      > hunting for *at the very moment*. The number of projects alone
      > should be immense, but the kind of projects might surprise us.
      >
      > Hans

      I'm working in making a Java applet to factor as fast as possible, so
      it can be used by the general people on Internet. I implemented the
      algorithms ECM and SIQS.

      Its Web address is:

      http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ECM.HTM

      The source code is available in the same page.

      In order to test the applet, I used it to factor a 80-digit composite
      = P40 x P41 where:

      P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
      P41 = 2^133 - 99

      The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz. The linear
      algebra phase, using the Block Lanczos algorithm on a sparse binary
      matrix of 26038 x 27379, took only 3m 30s.

      There are several other people that are using the applet. See for
      example the hunt for the factors of partition numbers P(n) at:

      http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~KC2H-MSM/mathland/part/whatsnew.htm

      where Tom Hill is using the applet to find the factors.

      Best regards,

      Dario Alejandro Alpern
      Buenos Aires - Argentina
      http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ENGLISH.HTM
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
        Dario Alejandro Alpern wrote:

        > P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
        > P41 = 2^133 - 99
        > The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz.

        For comparison, Satoshi Tomabechi's SIQS took 100 minutes
        for this c80

        > P39 = 739315861231459207946328658956357714871
        > P41 = 28353250219820203329613565398475280567239
        > cputime 1:39:24:52

        on a 1 GHz Athlon.

        Still, it is great that you put your multi-method applet
        on the web, Dario. To combine user-friendliness,
        open source, web access, and decent speed is fine
        service. Thanks for your work!