RE: [PrimeNumbers] Computational prime projects

  • Christian Boyer
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
      Milton, your other name is perhaps Mister Bean ?

      C. Boyer.

      (to members of this list :
      be happy, this message is my LAST message sent -offlist or not- to our
      famous Milton !)

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
        My ambitions are:
        1) to learn (or invent) some new theory in each new project
        2) to get out [*] of Chris's top-200-by-Proth-cycles
        3) to stay in Chris's top-10-by-numbers
        So it's difficult to know what to do next.
        Suggestions, consistent with these desiderata,
        are always welcome.
        David
        [*] To my shame, I am still there, at number 199.
      • alpertron
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
          --- In primenumbers@y..., Hans.Rosenthal@t... wrote:
          > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
          > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
          > at present.
          [...]
          > I'm really curious about what all the members of this list are
          > hunting for *at the very moment*. The number of projects alone
          > should be immense, but the kind of projects might surprise us.
          >
          > Hans

          I'm working in making a Java applet to factor as fast as possible, so
          it can be used by the general people on Internet. I implemented the
          algorithms ECM and SIQS.

          Its Web address is:

          http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ECM.HTM

          The source code is available in the same page.

          In order to test the applet, I used it to factor a 80-digit composite
          = P40 x P41 where:

          P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
          P41 = 2^133 - 99

          The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz. The linear
          algebra phase, using the Block Lanczos algorithm on a sparse binary
          matrix of 26038 x 27379, took only 3m 30s.

          There are several other people that are using the applet. See for
          example the hunt for the factors of partition numbers P(n) at:

          http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~KC2H-MSM/mathland/part/whatsnew.htm

          where Tom Hill is using the applet to find the factors.

          Best regards,

          Dario Alejandro Alpern
          Buenos Aires - Argentina
          http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ENGLISH.HTM
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
            Dario Alejandro Alpern wrote:

            > P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
            > P41 = 2^133 - 99
            > The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz.

            For comparison, Satoshi Tomabechi's SIQS took 100 minutes
            for this c80

            > P39 = 739315861231459207946328658956357714871
            > P41 = 28353250219820203329613565398475280567239
            > cputime 1:39:24:52

            on a 1 GHz Athlon.

            Still, it is great that you put your multi-method applet
            on the web, Dario. To combine user-friendliness,
            open source, web access, and decent speed is fine
            service. Thanks for your work!