Re: [PrimeNumbers] Computational prime projects

  • Milton Brown
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
      Yet another definition!
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Christian Boyer" <cboyer@...>
      To: "Milton Brown" <miltbrown@...>
      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 3:05 PM
      Subject: RE: [PrimeNumbers] Computational prime projects

      > My dear Milton,
      >
      > Education means also keep offlist a message initially sent offlist !
      >
      > Christian Boyer.

    • Christian Boyer
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
        Milton, your other name is perhaps Mister Bean ?

        C. Boyer.

        (to members of this list :
        be happy, this message is my LAST message sent -offlist or not- to our
        famous Milton !)

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
          My ambitions are:
          1) to learn (or invent) some new theory in each new project
          2) to get out [*] of Chris's top-200-by-Proth-cycles
          3) to stay in Chris's top-10-by-numbers
          So it's difficult to know what to do next.
          Suggestions, consistent with these desiderata,
          are always welcome.
          David
          [*] To my shame, I am still there, at number 199.
        • alpertron
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
            --- In primenumbers@y..., Hans.Rosenthal@t... wrote:
            > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
            > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
            > at present.
            [...]
            > I'm really curious about what all the members of this list are
            > hunting for *at the very moment*. The number of projects alone
            > should be immense, but the kind of projects might surprise us.
            >
            > Hans

            I'm working in making a Java applet to factor as fast as possible, so
            it can be used by the general people on Internet. I implemented the
            algorithms ECM and SIQS.

            Its Web address is:

            http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ECM.HTM

            The source code is available in the same page.

            In order to test the applet, I used it to factor a 80-digit composite
            = P40 x P41 where:

            P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
            P41 = 2^133 - 99

            The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz. The linear
            algebra phase, using the Block Lanczos algorithm on a sparse binary
            matrix of 26038 x 27379, took only 3m 30s.

            There are several other people that are using the applet. See for
            example the hunt for the factors of partition numbers P(n) at:

            http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~KC2H-MSM/mathland/part/whatsnew.htm

            where Tom Hill is using the applet to find the factors.

            Best regards,

            Dario Alejandro Alpern
            Buenos Aires - Argentina
            http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ENGLISH.HTM
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
              Dario Alejandro Alpern wrote:

              > P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
              > P41 = 2^133 - 99
              > The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz.

              For comparison, Satoshi Tomabechi's SIQS took 100 minutes
              for this c80

              > P39 = 739315861231459207946328658956357714871
              > P41 = 28353250219820203329613565398475280567239
              > cputime 1:39:24:52

              on a 1 GHz Athlon.

              Still, it is great that you put your multi-method applet
              on the web, Dario. To combine user-friendliness,
              open source, web access, and decent speed is fine
              service. Thanks for your work!