RE: [PrimeNumbers] Computational prime projects

  • FOSSANO Patrick OCISI
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1 5:25 AM
      Huuuuumpf!
      1 p3-866, GFN...

      # De : Toplic Manfred GSK SD [mailto:ToplicM@...]
      [...]
      # (some PCs with about 5000 MHz in sum)
      [...]
      # 34 * PIII/933 MHz
      [...]
      # ( 18 * PIII/933 MHz)

    • Milton Brown
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1 6:27 AM
        Yet another definition!
        ----- Original Message -----
        From: "Christian Boyer" <cboyer@...>
        To: "Milton Brown" <miltbrown@...>
        Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 3:05 PM
        Subject: RE: [PrimeNumbers] Computational prime projects

        > My dear Milton,
        >
        > Education means also keep offlist a message initially sent offlist !
        >
        > Christian Boyer.

      • Christian Boyer
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1 6:52 AM
          Milton, your other name is perhaps Mister Bean ?

          C. Boyer.

          (to members of this list :
          be happy, this message is my LAST message sent -offlist or not- to our
          famous Milton !)

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1 8:12 AM
            My ambitions are:
            1) to learn (or invent) some new theory in each new project
            2) to get out [*] of Chris's top-200-by-Proth-cycles
            3) to stay in Chris's top-10-by-numbers
            So it's difficult to know what to do next.
            Suggestions, consistent with these desiderata,
            are always welcome.
            David
            [*] To my shame, I am still there, at number 199.
          • alpertron
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1 2:23 PM
              --- In primenumbers@y..., Hans.Rosenthal@t... wrote:
              > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
              > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
              > at present.
              [...]
              > I'm really curious about what all the members of this list are
              > hunting for *at the very moment*. The number of projects alone
              > should be immense, but the kind of projects might surprise us.
              >
              > Hans

              I'm working in making a Java applet to factor as fast as possible, so
              it can be used by the general people on Internet. I implemented the
              algorithms ECM and SIQS.

              Its Web address is:

              http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ECM.HTM

              The source code is available in the same page.

              In order to test the applet, I used it to factor a 80-digit composite
              = P40 x P41 where:

              P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
              P41 = 2^133 - 99

              The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz. The linear
              algebra phase, using the Block Lanczos algorithm on a sparse binary
              matrix of 26038 x 27379, took only 3m 30s.

              There are several other people that are using the applet. See for
              example the hunt for the factors of partition numbers P(n) at:

              http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~KC2H-MSM/mathland/part/whatsnew.htm

              where Tom Hill is using the applet to find the factors.

              Best regards,

              Dario Alejandro Alpern
              Buenos Aires - Argentina
              http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ENGLISH.HTM
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1 2:39 PM
                Dario Alejandro Alpern wrote:

                > P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
                > P41 = 2^133 - 99
                > The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz.

                For comparison, Satoshi Tomabechi's SIQS took 100 minutes
                for this c80

                > P39 = 739315861231459207946328658956357714871
                > P41 = 28353250219820203329613565398475280567239
                > cputime 1:39:24:52

                on a 1 GHz Athlon.

                Still, it is great that you put your multi-method applet
                on the web, Dario. To combine user-friendliness,
                open source, web access, and decent speed is fine
                service. Thanks for your work!