Computational prime projects

  • Hans.Rosenthal@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 27, 2002
      We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
      I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
      at present. I counted all my prime projects together and I got

      1) Find primes k*720^n+1 with n=1..open and k=2..719
      2) Find a counterexample for my base10ABC conjecture
      3) Find generalized Fermat primes (Yves' GFN search)
      4) Find/prove Smoothly Undulating Palindromic Primes
      5) Find a very large prime quadruplet (>2000 digits)
      6) Find _5_ titanic primes in arithmetic progression
      7) Find a gap between consecutive primes with a D>33
      8) Find palindromic primes which include many zeroes

      So I am working on 2^4 or 16* different prime projects at this
      time. And every single one is a long-term project, which means
      that it has been worked on for more than half a year (actually
      four of them more than one year).

      I'm really curious about what all the members of this list are
      hunting for *at the very moment*. The number of projects alone
      should be immense, but the kind of projects might surprise us.

      Hans

      PS: The numbering of my projects does not indicate the priority
      of them. *So I am working on 2^4 or 16 different prime projects
      since each of my projects is usually followed by a sub-project.
    • Milton Brown
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 27, 2002
        Does factoring count?

        Some of us are working on factoring numbers
        in the RSA challenge list with >200 digits.

        Milton L. Brown
        miltbrown@...

        > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
        > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
        > at present. I counted all my prime projects together and I got
        >
        > 1) Find primes k*720^n+1 with n=1..open and k=2..719
        > 2) Find a counterexample for my base10ABC conjecture
        > 3) Find generalized Fermat primes (Yves' GFN search)
        > 4) Find/prove Smoothly Undulating Palindromic Primes
        > 5) Find a very large prime quadruplet (>2000 digits)
        > 6) Find _5_ titanic primes in arithmetic progression
        > 7) Find a gap between consecutive primes with a D>33
        > 8) Find palindromic primes which include many zeroes
        >
        > So I am working on 2^4 or 16* different prime projects at this
        > time. And every single one is a long-term project, which means
        > that it has been worked on for more than half a year (actually
        > four of them more than one year).
        >
        > I'm really curious about what all the members of this list are
        > hunting for *at the very moment*. The number of projects alone
        > should be immense, but the kind of projects might surprise us.
        >
        > Hans
        >
        > PS: The numbering of my projects does not indicate the priority
        > of them. *So I am working on 2^4 or 16 different prime projects
        > since each of my projects is usually followed by a sub-project.

      • Nathan Russell
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 27, 2002
          At 04:13 PM 2/27/2002 -0800, Milton Brown wrote:
          >Does factoring count?
          >
          >Some of us are working on factoring numbers
          >in the RSA challenge list with >200 digits.

          And others are working on educating the group with regard to the need for
          reproducability and verifiability in scientific results.

          Nathan
        • Milton Brown
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 27, 2002
            And, exactly what do you mean?

            Please give us an example of your "education"

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
              --- Hans.Rosenthal@... wrote:
              > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
              > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
              > at present.

              1) Presieving GFN numbers for Yves' GFN project
              2) Something to do with small numbers, with Paul J.
              3) Arithmetic Progression stuff with Arvind
              4) Something secret, on my own.
              5) Looking for a generalised fermat sequence with more than 5 initial
              prime terms (on primepuzzles.net, they're fermatian primes)
              6) Ooh, I did complete the 5000-5100 range, Hans, remind me to mail
              you the results!

              So that's 5.

              Phil

              =====
              --
              .sig selecter broken, please ignore.

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • mgrogue
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
                --- In primenumbers@y..., Hans.Rosenthal@t... wrote:
                > I'm really curious about what all the members of this list are
                > hunting for *at the very moment*. The number of projects alone
                > should be immense, but the kind of projects might surprise us.

                I'm newer to this group and a lightweight on number theory, but I am
                doing the following:

                1) The Riesel Problem (from www.prothsearch.net).
                2) Multifactorial primes (also from www.prothsearch.net). I hope
                that Ray Ballinger updates his web site and adds a 'Reserve Range'
                feature for primes of this form. It would also be nice if
                NewPGen could sieve numbers of this form.
                3) ECM factoring (on a Mac). I'm trying to port OpenPFGW to it,
                but it is proving to be more difficult than I expected and my
                skills don't seem to be up to the challenge.

                I would bet that the Riesel and Sierpinski problems would be completed
                with a year or two if they were incorporated into GIMPS or
                distributed.net.

                --Mark
              • Harvey, Steven
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
                  I'm working on the following:

                  Puzzle 10 from the prime puzzles connection, namely is there always a prime
                  of the form k*n#+/-1 or n#/k+/-1. I've checked to n=1003.

                  n!2+1currently to 26497, prime for 1,2,518.

                  k*2^(2^17-1)-1 to 10000000.

                  Sierpinski base 146561, cuurnetly to 447538.

                  n*(2^32-1)^4096+1 currentlyto 18040.

                  n!3+/-1currently to 38000.

                  Carol & Kynea numbers currently to 41968.

                  Also Gallot's GFN project, & generalized woodalls.

                  sharvey@... harvey563@...

                • Marcin Lipinski
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
                    I am doing the fallowing projects:
                    1. Proth primes of the form k*2^n+1
                    2. GIMPS
                    3. GFN search
                    4. Primes of the form k*2^n-1 for 301<k<999
                    5. Primes of the form n!-1
                    6. 15-factorial primes.
                    7. Fermat numbers factoring
                    8. x^y*y^x for 1<x<y<101 factorisation
                    Marcin
[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Paul Leyland
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
                      > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
                      > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
                      > at present. I counted all my prime projects together and I got

                      1) Searching for PRPs of the form x^y+y^x.
                      2) Sundry factoring projects with ECM, MPQS and NFS.

                      Paul
                    • David Clark
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
                        > > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
                        >> I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
                        > > at present. I counted all my prime projects together and I got

                        1) Studying properties of primes of the form (a+1)^p - a^p
                        2) Looking at the chromatic polynomials of cyclic graphs with p+1
                        nodes (p prime).
                      • Yves Gallot
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
                          > I would bet that the Riesel and Sierpinski problems
                          > would be completed with a year or two if they were
                          > incorporated into GIMPS or distributed.net.

                          :o))
                          Read http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yves.gallot/papers/weight.html

                          Today, the programs are "just" able to test some numbers between 10^6 and
                          10^7 digits. They are really too small for the solution of Sierpinski and
                          Riesel problems.
                          We have a 50% chance of solving Sierpinski problem with a 10^12 digits
                          prime. We have a 50% chance of solving Riesel problem with a 10^20 digits
                          prime. If no mathematical proof is found, I would bet that the Sierpinski
                          will be completed in about one century and the Riesel problem in about a
                          millenium.

                          Yves
                        • Dan Morenus
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
                            > > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
                            > > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
                            > > at present. I counted all my prime projects together and I got

                            1) Joe McLean's Ballinger-Keller search, on a 333MHz P2,
                            coexisting with my day-to-day personal computer use.
                            2) Joe McLean's Ballinger-Keller search, on about an 850MHz
                            P3 laptop, full time dedicated.
                          • Milton Brown
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
                              Oh, not baseless attacks by in innuendo!

                              Then, I have learned:

                              Education means one thing to some people
                              and something entirely different to others.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 28, 2002
                                > > > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
                                > >> I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
                                > > > at present. I counted all my prime projects together and I got

                                1) finish 100000 NRD search (current)
                                2) find prime 2^(2^19-1)-2^(2^18+k)+1
                                4) 2-PRP 2^n-2^k-1 for 0<k<44<n<100000
                                3) help find Carol/Kynea Primes
                                4) compute f=x^3+-x^2-1,f=x^3+-x-1 for all x<10^8 checking f|x^f-x =>
                                f is prime
                                5) extend 4) to higher powers

                                Paul
                              • Toplic Manfred GSK SD
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 1 4:20 AM
                                  > > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
                                  > > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
                                  > > at present.

                                  1.) Search for a factor of the double Mersenne Number MM61 (some PCs with about 5000 MHz in sum)
                                  http://www.ltkz.demon.co.uk/ar2/mm61prog.htm

                                  2.) Finding a Proth prime of the form 5*2^n + 1, and possible a new largest known composite Fermat number ( currently n: 1100000-1200000, 34 * PIII/933 MHz)
                                  http://www.prothsearch.net/guestbook.html

                                  3.) Search for GF-Primes with n=65536 and 131072 ( 18 * PIII/933 MHz)
                                  http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yves.gallot/primes/status.html

                                  All PCs are running 24h/day, 7d/week.
                                  "There are lots of idle cpu-cycles to spare, and I'm investing them in science"

                                  Cheers !
                                  --
                                  Manfred Toplic
                                • FOSSANO Patrick OCISI
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 1 5:25 AM
                                    Huuuuumpf!
                                    1 p3-866, GFN...

                                    # De : Toplic Manfred GSK SD [mailto:ToplicM@...]
                                    [...]

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 1 6:27 AM
                                      Yet another definition!
                                      > Education means also keep offlist a message initially sent offlist !
                                      >
                                      > Christian Boyer.

                                    • Christian Boyer
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 1 6:52 AM
                                        Milton, your other name is perhaps Mister Bean ?

                                        C. Boyer.

                                        (to members of this list :
                                        be happy, this message is my LAST message sent -offlist or not- to our
                                        famous Milton !)

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 1 8:12 AM
                                          My ambitions are:
                                          1) to learn (or invent) some new theory in each new project
                                          2) to get out [*] of Chris's top-200-by-Proth-cycles
                                          3) to stay in Chris's top-10-by-numbers
                                          So it's difficult to know what to do next.
                                          Suggestions, consistent with these desiderata,
                                          are always welcome.
                                          David
                                          [*] To my shame, I am still there, at number 199.
                                        • alpertron
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 1 2:23 PM
                                            --- In primenumbers@y..., Hans.Rosenthal@t... wrote:
                                            > We count 351 members on this prime numbers list at the moment.
                                            > I was wondering how many and what prime project(s) they follow
                                            > at present.
                                            [...]
                                            > I'm really curious about what all the members of this list are
                                            > hunting for *at the very moment*. The number of projects alone
                                            > should be immense, but the kind of projects might surprise us.
                                            >
                                            > Hans

                                            I'm working in making a Java applet to factor as fast as possible, so
                                            it can be used by the general people on Internet. I implemented the
                                            algorithms ECM and SIQS.

                                            Its Web address is:

                                            http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ECM.HTM

                                            The source code is available in the same page.

                                            In order to test the applet, I used it to factor a 80-digit composite
                                            = P40 x P41 where:

                                            P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
                                            P41 = 2^133 - 99

                                            The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz. The linear
                                            algebra phase, using the Block Lanczos algorithm on a sparse binary
                                            matrix of 26038 x 27379, took only 3m 30s.

                                            There are several other people that are using the applet. See for
                                            example the hunt for the factors of partition numbers P(n) at:

                                            http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~KC2H-MSM/mathland/part/whatsnew.htm

                                            where Tom Hill is using the applet to find the factors.

                                            Best regards,

                                            Dario Alejandro Alpern
                                            Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                            http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ENGLISH.HTM
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 1 2:39 PM
                                              Dario Alejandro Alpern wrote:

                                              > P40 = (2^132 - 187)/3
                                              > P41 = 2^133 - 99
                                              > The computation took 2d 8h 57m 34s in a Celeron 566 MHz.

                                              For comparison, Satoshi Tomabechi's SIQS took 100 minutes
                                              for this c80

                                              > P39 = 739315861231459207946328658956357714871
                                              > P41 = 28353250219820203329613565398475280567239
                                              > cputime 1:39:24:52

                                              on a 1 GHz Athlon.

                                              Still, it is great that you put your multi-method applet
                                              on the web, Dario. To combine user-friendliness,
                                              open source, web access, and decent speed is fine
                                              service. Thanks for your work!