RE: [PrimeNumbers] NFSnet

  • Nathan Russell
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2002
      At 10:52 AM 2/24/2002 -0800, Paul Leyland wrote:
      > > However, there's one moral dilemma I'm facing - the entry for NFSnet
      >seems
      > > to be defunct, and the page is listed (though not visible to the
      >public)
      > > as giving 403 forbidden.
      >
      >Indeed, Conrad has apparently fallen off the edge of the world. No-one
      >has heard from him in ages, despite numerous attempts. I tried a couple
      >of times about 6 months ago.

      I can beat that! I tried to volunteer for factoring in June-July '01 and
      got no reply.

      >Please hold your fire for a little while longer.

      Open directory policy is to avoid broken links, so a senior editor I asked
      to look over my category marked that site as unreviewed - the same status
      it would have if it was submitted but, well, still unreviewed. If a new
      NFSnet starts up, it'd be a matter of a few clicks to put that URL in and
      add the site to the 'live' directory.

      >A number of people in
      >the factoring fraternity have been muttering "Things Must be Done". If
      >another NSFNET coordinator can be volunteered into office, it will start
      >up again.

      I, for one, would be more than happy to contribute. I'll be watching the
      list, in any event. It'd help if the topic of the announcement was
      something obvious, not the 80th message in a thread called "My new 30,000
      digit proth" or "Hey guys, I proved FLT, for real this week!"

      Nathan