Re: New Prime

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      paulmillscv wrote:
      > 12345*2^29100 + 1 is prime ! (a = 7)
      than what is this ten time faster, pray?
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002
        Paul Mills announced:
        > The Brown-Mills heuristic algorithm is 10X
        > faster than any current prime searching algorithm.
        and adduced the example:
        > 12345*2^29100 + 1 is prime ! (a = 7)

        I looked to see how much CPUtime such small primes take

        84673*2^29100+1
        100945*2^29100+1
        113611*2^29100+1

        were found in 6 hours at 1GHz.

        So Paul, all you have to do
        is generate a hundred 30kbit primes
        each CPU day, and we shall be convinced.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002
          On Sun, 03 February 2002, "djbroadhurst" wrote:
          > Paul Mills announced:
          > > The Brown-Mills heuristic algorithm is 10X
          > > faster than any current prime searching algorithm.
          > and adduced the example:
          > > 12345*2^29100 + 1 is prime ! (a = 7)

          Adduced, eh? Nice word, but I think I'll stick with 'presented' 'cited', or 'proffered'.

          However, the gap upon which noone has yet pounced is the 'current prime searching algorithms'. What algorithms? I've seen more convincing soap powder "better than all others" spiel(s).

          > I looked to see how much CPUtime such small primes take
          >
          > 84673*2^29100+1
          > 100945*2^29100+1
          > 113611*2^29100+1
          >
          > were found in 6 hours at 1GHz.
          >
          > So Paul, all you have to do
          > is generate a hundred 30kbit primes
          > each CPU day, and we shall be convinced.

          Maybe you didn't use a 'current' prime searching algorithm??

          Phil

          Don't be fooled, CRC Press are _not_ the good guys.
          They've taken Wolfram's money - _don't_ give them yours.
          http://mathworld.wolfram.com/erics_commentary.html

          http://www.shopping.altavista.com