New Prime

  • paulmillscv
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hello,
      As requested by David, a verification of the new Milton Brown-Mills
      heuristic for a prime search of the form 12345*2^n +1 . (Not a GFN
      form, as stated). Courtesy of NewPGen (Paul Jobling) and Proth (Yves
      Gallot) and comparative statistical analysis by David Broadhurst
      (forthcoming). Primers are invited to search for the `Pineapple
      Rag' midi file by Scott Joplin on the net in celebration and to
      generally `have a good day!'

      12345*2^29100 + 1 is prime ! (a = 7) [8765 digits]
      12345*2^29100 + 1 is prime ! (verification : a = 19) [8765 digits]
      Done.

      Regards,
      Paul Mills,
      Kenilworth,
      England.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        paulmillscv wrote:
        > 12345*2^29100 + 1 is prime ! (a = 7)
        than what is this ten time faster, pray?
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002
          Paul Mills announced:
          > The Brown-Mills heuristic algorithm is 10X
          > faster than any current prime searching algorithm.
          and adduced the example:
          > 12345*2^29100 + 1 is prime ! (a = 7)

          I looked to see how much CPUtime such small primes take

          84673*2^29100+1
          100945*2^29100+1
          113611*2^29100+1

          were found in 6 hours at 1GHz.

          So Paul, all you have to do
          is generate a hundred 30kbit primes
          each CPU day, and we shall be convinced.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002
            On Sun, 03 February 2002, "djbroadhurst" wrote:
            > Paul Mills announced:
            > > The Brown-Mills heuristic algorithm is 10X
            > > faster than any current prime searching algorithm.
            > and adduced the example:
            > > 12345*2^29100 + 1 is prime ! (a = 7)

            Adduced, eh? Nice word, but I think I'll stick with 'presented' 'cited', or 'proffered'.

            However, the gap upon which noone has yet pounced is the 'current prime searching algorithms'. What algorithms? I've seen more convincing soap powder "better than all others" spiel(s).

            > I looked to see how much CPUtime such small primes take
            >
            > 84673*2^29100+1
            > 100945*2^29100+1
            > 113611*2^29100+1
            >
            > were found in 6 hours at 1GHz.
            >
            > So Paul, all you have to do
            > is generate a hundred 30kbit primes
            > each CPU day, and we shall be convinced.

            Maybe you didn't use a 'current' prime searching algorithm??

            Phil

            Don't be fooled, CRC Press are _not_ the good guys.
            They've taken Wolfram's money - _don't_ give them yours.
            http://mathworld.wolfram.com/erics_commentary.html

            http://www.shopping.altavista.com