RE: [PrimeNumbers] Dumb question

  • Jon Perry
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      If n=pq, and x=p+q, we can say x>=2sqrt(n), and x<(n/2)+2.

      I don't think there is anything else we can infer.

      >I suppose it's dumb because given the sum of the two
      >factors it is trivial to work out the factors and so can't be done.

      If 20=p+q, what are p and q? And from this, what is pq?

      Jon Perry
      perry@...
      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry
      http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths
      BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
      http://www.brainbench.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        Automatic typo correction program spotted a typo in Jon Perry's email:

        RE:[PrimeNumbers]Dumb Question

        Please read:

        x<=(n/2)+2

        for:

        x<(n/2)+2

        Jon Perry
        perry@...
        http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry
        http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths
        BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
        http://www.brainbench.com

        If n=pq, and x=p+q, we can say x>=2sqrt(n), and x<(n/2)+2.

        I don't think there is anything else we can infer.

        >I suppose it's dumb because given the sum of the two
        >factors it is trivial to work out the factors and so can't be done.

        If 20=p+q, what are p and q? And from this, what is pq?

        Jon Perry
        perry@...
        http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry
        http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~perry/maths
        BrainBench MVP for HTML and JavaScript
        http://www.brainbench.com

        This is probably going to sound like a really dumb question with the answer
        being a resounding no, but, is there anyway, given a number which is the
        result of multiplying two primes together, to ascertain what the sum of
        those two factors is? I suppose it's dumb because given the sum of the two
        factors it is trivial to work out the factors and so can't be done.
        TIA,

      • David Litchfield
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
          > If n=pq, and x=p+q, we can say x>=2sqrt(n), and x<(n/2)+2.
          >
          > I don't think there is anything else we can infer.

          Hmm. Shame.

          > >I suppose it's dumb because given the sum of the two
          > >factors it is trivial to work out the factors and so can't be done.
          >
          > If 20=p+q, what are p and q? And from this, what is pq?

          Well, the reason I say it's trivial is for this. Assume the number you've
          been given is say 51 and we want to work out p and q.

          If we knew p + q = 20 we could say

          20 / 2 = 100

          100 - 51 = 49

          sqrt(100) = 10
          sqrt(49) = 7

          10 - 7 = 3
          10 + 7 = 17

          17 * 3 = 51

          All numbers whose factors add up to give n share the same perfect squares as
          per fermat

          e.g. p + q = 20

          3 * 17 = 51, 3 + 17 = 20, 20 / 2 = 100, 100 - 51 = 49
          5 * 15 = 75, 5 + 15 = 20, 20 / 2 = 100, 100 - 75 = 25
          7 * 13 = 91, 7 + 13 = 20, 20 / 2 = 100, 100 - 91 = 9
          9 * 11 = 99, 9 + 11 = 20, 20 / 2 = 100, 100 - 99 = 1

          Cheers,
          David Litchfield