[OT] Re: Primes and I

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      Yes the nipping in and out of 3-d idea was a bit corny.
      But I want to reinforce what Jud said about absolute
      indistinguishability in physics. In quantum mechanics
      you have a wavefunction for every electron that you
      happen to think is in a box, and then have to antisymmetrize
      to take account of their indistinguishability.
      But in the full quantum theory there is a _single_
      anticommuting field whose potentialities describe
      every electron and positron in the universe. If anyone asks
      "which electron was that?" there is _no_ possible answer.
      Also there no answer to the question: "how many electrons
      in this box"; only the difference #electrons - #positrons
      is meaningful.