Re: [PrimeNumbers] Anyone with a duff PC seen this?

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2001
      On Tue, 27 February 2001, George Woltman wrote:
      > From the readme.txt file (the one that ships doesn't ship with prp.exe!),
      > you'll see that your diagnosis is probably correct. PRP.exe and the
      > GIMPS' Mersenne prime search program, prime95, share the same
      > multiplication and error checking code.
      >
      > Regards,
      > George

      My Athlon800 "blew up" last night and only stays up for 30 seconds. Even with the computer room at -10C and all fans spinning :-(
      This is hardware failure of the finest, and cruelest, kind.

      I've received a couple of other anecdotes off-list some which again seem to fall into the "flaky hardware" catagory. Joe sent me an interesting one, which my "stable" PC reproduces and I asked him to forward it to you and Chris Nash (just in case it has PFGW implications), if you don't get a message from him soon, then I can forward his mail and also my "reproduction" (which has a different error bit location).

      Happy CPU-burning :-)

      http://www.shopping.altavista.com