Re: A goldbach conjecture for twin primes

  • Kaveh Vejdani
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
      --- In primenumbers@y..., "Harvey Dubner" <hdubner1@c...> wrote:
      > There has been so much discussion about the Goldbach conjecture and
      also
      > about twin primes that I can't resist adding a conjecture which
      sort of
      > combines them.
      >
      > Define a t-prime to be a prime which has a twin.
      >
      > Conjecture: Every sufficiently large even number is the sum of two
      > t-primes.
      >
      > More exact: This is true for all even numbers greater than 4208.
      There are
      > only a few even numbers less than or equal to 4208 for which this
      is not
      > true.
      >
      > Harvey Dubner

      I think "primes" satisfy GC not because of their "primality" but
      because of their "random enough" distribution. In fact, with ever
      larger even numbers, ever less percent of primes is needed to satisfy
      GC. With my computer power, less than 1% of the primes would suffice.

      Defining g(i) as the product of (1-2/p) for all prime p<=sqrt(n), the
      number of Golbach pairs for the even n is almost (n/4)*g(i).
      Similarly, the number of t-primes between p^2 and (p+2)^2 is almost
      2p*g(i), which means t-prime distribution is far denser than what is
      needed to satisfy GC. In fact, every set of random odd numbers with a
      spacing of the order n^1/3 is enough to make all evens with their
      paired sums, while t-prime spacing is of the order log(n)^2.

      For the same reason, the GC-like conjecture for the triplet-primes is
      also eventually true.

      Kaveh