Re: [PrimeNumbers] Backtrack?

  • Hans.Rosenthal@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2001
      Marcel Martin wrote:

      > Well, since I still don't know whether I will add a backtracking
      > feature or not to the next Primo release, if ever you have something
      > to say about it, please, say it now.

      I think that *both* backtracking AND more factorization power is most
      useful when you are tackling numbers beyond a certain (let's say 3k+)
      size.

      Hans
    • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
        Marcel Martin wrote

        > There were very few answers to my post.

        I didn't dare tell you that I use it all the time,
        including the advanced set up.

        I thought you might foam at the mouth :-)
        if I showed you:

        Binary size = 7560
        Running time 53h 38mn 42s for path
        Running time 11h 0mn 50s for rest
        with backtrack at end of Run 1 Part 2
        at 1 GHz

        Thanks for letting me be so "inefficient" :-)

        David
      • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
          PS: I looked to see how many backtracks there were in

          > Binary size = 7560
          > Running time 53h 38mn 42s for path

          answer = 15 backtracks in 353 steps

          For my money, that was a small price to pay,
          at this bitsize, for complete avoidance of Run 2.
          Opinions may vary, but experiment should
          at least be allowed, please, Marcel.