ACF and ACT conjectures

  • Hans.Rosenthal@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
      Definitions:
      "
      An ACF conjecture is a conjecture which is *Almost Certainly
      False* due to rigorous heuristical argumentation, but which
      is not proven to be false.

      An ACT conjecture is a conjecture which is *Almost Certainly
      True* due to rigorous heuristical argumentation, but which
      is not proven to be true.
      "
      Both types of conjectures, ACF and ACT, exist in their own right.
      Both types of conjectures have no (easy) proof or disproof (while
      a 'not yet found' counterexample would always suffice for both).

      We saw examples of both these types of conjectures on this list
      in the last couple of days. They were closely related to prime
      numbers. And we know of some old and famous conjectures (about
      primes) which also fit in one of the ACF or ACT classes.

      I believe that it might be useful to introduce a classification
      of ACF and ACT conjectures into the field of prime numbers. If
      you have a conjecture about primes, then the *very* first thing
      you should try is to classify it as ACF or ACT (by use of good
      heuristics or *many* numbers).

      We should try to collect as many of very hard to prove or disprove
      conjectures about primes as ever possible of any of the types ACF
      or ACT to convince Chris Caldwell that such an ACF/ACT conjectures
      page would be a page of it's own right among his prime pages.

      Hans

      PS: Which ACF/ACT conjectures about (or including) primes are
      known to you?
    • Kaveh Vejdani
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2001
        > We should try to collect as many of very hard to prove or disprove
        > conjectures about primes as ever possible of any of the types ACF
        > or ACT to convince Chris Caldwell that such an ACF/ACT conjectures
        > page would be a page of it's own right among his prime pages.
        >
        > Hans
        >
        > PS:
        > Which ACF/ACT conjectures about (or including) primes are
        > known to you?

        Hans, here's my ACT conjecture, of you like :

        For fixed, relatively prime naturals a,b, every large enough number
        of the form ax+b is the average of two primes of the form ax+b.

        This, apparently, is a GC-like conjecture for the infintely many
        primes on the series ax+b. Goldbach's conjecture is actually a
        special case of the above conjecture as the set of naturals, in which
        GC is defined, is a special case of ax+b, with a=1.

        Kaveh