Re: [PrimeNumbers] Patterns in Prime numbers

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2001
      On Mon, 19 February 2001, prime_bo@... wrote:
      > I want to for sure that there is ABSULTELY NO PATTERNS
      > to primes, a few people told me that there aren't. If
      > there is i would like to know about them. The reason i
      > want to know this is because i think i have found some
      > and i was wondering if it had been observed before. Or
      > maybe im just wrong or something.

      This is an interesting philosophical issue, and can be approached on many levels.

      There are certainly very clearly defined patterns to the composites. (Ignoring units) The primes are the complement of the composites, so you'd expect them to have a pattern. However, they themselves don't have their own pattern. Most patterns that seem to be there are patterns of the composites, and you're seeing the spectre of it.

      You can't carve a smooth concave shape using a flat chisel, although you can carve a smooth convex shape.

      However, on a different level, the Kolmogorov complexity of the primes is O(1), so you could say they have a simple pattern, but I believe that Kolmogorov complexity is 'missing the point' here.

      http://www.shopping.altavista.com