Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: ...such that 10^a+b*10^c+1 is prime

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 28, 2001
      On Tue, 27 November 2001, Hans.Rosenthal@... wrote:
      [SNIP - I said...]
      > > counter-example. (But how long do you search before you judge
      > > that it's not worth continuing?)
      >
      > My answer is simple: I search as long as the matter is fascinating me.
      > When I lose interest or another, more interesting project comes to
      > mind, I stop the search.

      While looking for a next term in OEIS Sloane's A003001, see
      http://listserv.nodak.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0107&L=nmbrthry&P=R1036 , I calculated the probability of there being any new term beyond where I looked to be substantially less than 10^-1000. I think it was fair to give up by that stage!

      Phil

      Don't be fooled, CRC Press are _not_ the good guys.
      They've taken Wolfram's money - _don't_ give them yours.
      http://mathworld.wolfram.com/erics_commentary.html

      http://www.shopping.altavista.com