Re: New prime gap L=2000

  • jfoug@kdsi.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 2, 2001
      Short answer:
      This is a round off problem exhibited in release build 1.1

      Long answer:
      In the 1.1 release of PFGW, when it builds the FFT's, it finds which
      FFT size to use, and simply used it with the number of bits per limb
      listed. The FFT size selected for this number was 32,23 (32 fft
      limbs at 23 bits per limb). However, this number only requires
      5.04 limbs (at 32 bits per limb), so it was simply "shoved" down
      into the bottom of the FFT number. There is a current development
      version of PFGW which behaves differently when building the FFT
      contexts. It knows that this number fits into a 32,23 FFT, but it
      then looks and finds that it fits in a 32,22 or a 32,21 ... or a
      32,16. It choses to use a 32,16 (32 limbs with 16 bits per limb).
      This eliminates ANY possiblity of round off issues, while still
      processing the number using 32 FFT elements (same speed).

      Within the current release 1.1 PFGW, there is a option which forces
      pfgw to select a FFT using fewer than maximal number of bits. This
      is the authentication function. Simply putting -a1 on the command
      line switch will force PFGW to use 1 less bit per limb (possibly
      causing it to have to use more limbs also). This helps reduce the
      issues of FFT round off by using FFT's with less bits of precision
      per limb. There is also a -a2 which reduces the number of bits
      per limb by 2 bits. The drawback to 1 or 2 bits less per limb is
      felt when this causes the number of FFT limbs to increase. When the
      number of limbs increases, this causes a 20-65% slowdown for testing
      the number.

      One huge point of clarification. Using a tool such as PFGW which
      uses FFT numbers exclusivly is a huge overkill. It is like duck
      hunting with a tank. Sure it works, but it is probably far from
      optimal. PFGW is probably at least 10 to 50 times slower on numbers
      of this size than a program which uses "classical" or Karatsuba math,
      such as GMP or Miracl. I am not sure if there currently is a GMP
      program which does things like PFGW does, but for numbers under
      2^1000, a program like that would be preferable over the current
      FFT only PFGW.

      Jim.

      --- In primenumbers@y..., "Nuutti Kuosa" <nuutti.kuosa@i...> wrote:
      > I tried this :
      > ABC2 2^116+5766300710013+$a
      > a: from 0 to 2028
      >
      > and I got that :
      > 2^116+5766300710013+0 is composite: (0.000000 seconds)
      >
      > and primeform.exe gave :
      > 2^116+5766300710013+0 is probable prime! (a = 4243) (digits:35)
      >
      > Yours,
      >
      > Nuutti

    • Barbara and Joe
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2001
        I'm trying to make use too!

        Is there any organised search?

        Joe.
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 6, 2001
          It seems that the only organized search is
          by special interests that justify them by
          their own arbitrary "interest factor"

        • Hans.Rosenthal@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 7, 2001
            Joe McLean asked:

            > I'm trying to make use too!
            >
            > Is there any organised search?
            >
            > Joe.

            There is indeed an organized search for (first occurrence) prime
            gaps. Thomas R. Nicely maintains this website

            http://www.trnicely.net/gaps/gaplist.html

            All the entries in Paul Leyland's 'largest D's' table were taken
            from this site.

            Hans
          • Barbara and Joe
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
              Thanks Hans,

              I actually meant entries for the second of Paul's tables rather than the
              first. I am very slowly working through some simple ranges, which hasn't
              produced anything special yet, but may suggest certain good places to look.