Re: Base 10 database, R(13860), R(15600) and etc., etc.

  • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2001
      A nice historical footnote that Harvey was too modest
      to underline. Hugh Williams and he proved N=R(1031) prime in 1986.
      Off and on in 2000, Andy Steward and I tried to reprove it
      (without of course using ECPP or APRCL) and FAILED.
      We were not smart enough, were we Andy?
      Even after running ECM for far longer than even Torbjo"rn Granlund,
      and finding a factor that would have been out of sight with 1986
      hardware, we still got stuck at 29.915% so the KP
      development (unaided by extra bits) did not quite get us there.
      Now both Satoshi Tomabechi and I (and probably Andy) can do
      it with some difficulty. But how do you suppose that Hugh
      and Harvey did it, in 1986? Finding out was educational for me;
      maybe it would also for others:
      Math.Comp. 47 (1986) 703-711.